Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Real Mileage Database

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Rick,
Greenville is quite a hike from Myrtle beach. Probably too far to meet. Maybe some other time. Enjoy your new Prius. Your gonna love it! I am having an incredible tank, 595 miles with 72.0 MPG average. Looks like I will make 70/700. I know that it doesn't compare to your Insight, but probably one of the better tanks for a Prius.

Dan

P.S. Evidently some Insight drivers are not so MPG conscious as you are. I was minding my own business doing 55 on I-79 yesterday when a Dark Silver Insight blew by me like I was standing still. What is the max speed of the Insight anyway?

Old 03-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

Dan,
The top speed of the insight is governed at 112 in 3rd gear. I tend to drive near 55 (slowing to 50 on a hill but speeding up to perhaps 65 on the downslope) to maximize my mpg. Have fun, Rick

Old 04-06-2004, 10:11 AM
mrv
Enthusiast

When I inputted in my two vehicles, I was asked for my highest and lowest mileage trip data. Strangely, I cannot input tenths of a mile, so I had to input the mileage rounded to the nearest whole mile. Since I was asked for mileage, I inputted the furthest and shortest distance on the tank.

Then, when I look up the individual vehicles as listed in the mileage database, instead of highest and lowest mileage, it's listed as Best and Worst trip, alluding to best and worst MPG, unknown if that's for a tankful or for some measured distance. Very confusing.

So which is it? Highest MPG per tank or furthest distance on a tank?

I'm not about to re-enter in all of my tank data (16 for my 2004, 99 for my 2001), is there an easier upload data option?

Old 04-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Site Founder

MRV,

The normal data plots (Add Data) are for tanks. It clearly states this on the page. The "best" and "worst" mileages are simply attributes you can stick to that car and update manually if you so choose. Note that they're only optional. Many like to use it for their best tank (like myself), and others record 30 of their best miles or so. None of it is listed for statistical purposes, and is simply displayed on your detailed page without any calcuations.

Also, what do you mean you could not input tenths? There are two text boxes. The first is for integers and the second allows a tenths place.

Old 04-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Site Founder

I've been using the government statistic of 20.9 mpg for the average car, however I realize that this is probably the average of EPA estimates. Do you have any suggestions as to what figure I can use, instead?

Old 04-06-2004, 02:12 PM
mrv
Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Apr 6th 2004 @ 3:23 PM
MRV,

The normal data plots (Add Data) are for tanks. It clearly states this on the page. The "best" and "worst" mileages are simply attributes you can stick to that car and update manually if you so choose. Note that they're only optional. Many like to use it for their best tank (like myself), and others record 30 of their best miles or so. None of it is listed for statistical purposes, and is simply displayed on your detailed page without any calcuations.

Also, what do you mean you could not input tenths? There are two text boxes. The first is for integers and the second allows a tenths place.
Ah, by "mileage" you really mean "fuel economy." Must really be confusing for those who live in countries that are metric...

When I see "mileage" I think "what my odometer says," which is closer to what you call "distance" on your "Add Tank" page. Most definitions for "mileage" are for length/distance. see: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mileage

On the "Edit Cars" page or the "Add Tank" page, "Distance" is only one text box, so I'm assuming that it only takes integer values (since you clearly have a tenths box for your confusing "mileage" line).

Again, do you have some form of bulk uploader for tank data? (say, upload a comma-separated text file with the data in certain fields?) I really do not want to have to enter 100+ tanks, which is why I went with just the "optional" data entries on the "Edit Cars" page.

unfortunately to post, your site doesn't seem to like my preferred web browser, so I don't think I'll be around much, so my responses will be slower than they'd otherwise would be (have to go load up a different browser when next am able to...)

Old 04-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Site Founder

MRV,

As the database is frequently changed and has custom fields, there is no way to mass upload. It's possible to override your economy/mileage numbers, but this isn't recommended as you'll have no data to back it up.

I suggest inputting your 100 or so tanks over the course of a week or so. It's certainly been done! To make things easier, certain fields will remember what you chose last time so that you don't have to fill them in again