Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

The reason the Prius2 EPA is farther off

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Respectfully, I don't think those articles prove your point.
I wasn't really making a point or trying to prove anything, was I? I think I was just providing information to someone who asked a question.....

The only thing I read that I did not already know is that the EPA "allows" manufacturers to post lower numbers if they want to.

I'm not standing on either side of the road on this issue.....They can either post their version of real numbers or the outdated EPA version of real numbers, I couldn't care less......

Old 10-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally posted by lars-ss@Oct 8th 2004 @ 3:04 PM
My guess is that the EPA would want the manufacturer to adjust the rating and not vice versa......
Sorry, I thought this was the point you were trying to make...

Old 10-13-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by myraellen+Oct 13th 2004 @ 12:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myraellen @ Oct 13th 2004 @ 12:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-lars-ss@Oct 8th 2004 @ 3:04 PM
My guess is that the EPA would want the manufacturer to adjust the rating and not vice versa......
Sorry, I thought this was the point you were trying to make...[/b][/quote]
Well, the manufacturer KNOWS that the EPA cannot, will not, lower it's EPA numbers without modifying the EPA test and re-running it - so the manufacturer would never even ATTEMPT to get the EPA to lower the numbers.....The manufacturers might want ( and probably have asked for ) a newly designed EPA test, but they know full well as do we all that the EPA will not lower any numbers which are not based on the EPA's own testing.

Thus my "guess" that the EPA might want the manufacturer to lower it is the ONLY way it could happen, because the EPA cannot lower theirs without re-running a redesigned test. That the EPA "allows" manufacturers to lower it "if they want" (which would not likely EVER happen) assures that the lowering of numbers will not happen until/unless there is a newly updated EPA test methodology, because all the car makers hang their hats on those high MPG numbers.

So it's a quandry, the result of which I do not really care, because I know I'm going to get what I can get from my car regardless of the EPA number, as are all of you.

Having EPA numbers to compare is a good basic guideline for comparing cars before purchase, but the numbers don't matter much after the purchase is made, really, do they? Except for freaks like us who hang on every extra MPG like groupies?

Old 10-13-2004, 12:48 PM

Hi Lars-ss:

___Good overall assessment on the Prius II’s EPA rated fuel economy vs. real world but calling those trying to save their children’s ability to drive an automobile with the freedoms that we do today, change in a small manner our countries balance of payments, lower our dependency on foreign oil, lessen our dependency on regimes with terrorist citizenry killing American’s by the building full, “Freaks” is an extreme disservice to us all. The $ savings that comes with the above is a tremendous boon if you didn’t pay too much for the automobile in the first place.

___As for me, every time I start an automobile whether it’s the MDX, Ranger, Corolla, or Insight, they all receive the gentlest treatment to maximize their respective fuel economy. The EPA estimates are only numbers to be destroyed at each and every turn of the key imho and I hope it stays that way.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-13-2004, 01:10 PM

Notice I put the at the end of the "freaks" comment - that was tongue in cheek and meant to point out how ONLY we certain types of people care enough to want a Hybrid and are willing to change our driving habits to take advantage of the capability of the technology while most "mainstreamers" do not. ( I can laugh at my own obssessions, hopefully we all can, it's healthy to do so. )

I have many, many friends who "care" about the environment and wish we would put an end to fossil fuel dependence but would never do what I do to economize - thus we are "different" in that way - maybe not Freaky in a negative way, thus the tongue in cheek value, but "Freaky" can be positive too - Randy Moss is called a Freak and Michael Jordan was called a Freak, as was Wayne Gretzky, Barry Bonds, etc. - Freaky can be a positive assessment, but if you choose to see the negative side of the comment, then don't be insulted, as none was meant.

Absolutely no insult was intended......

Old 10-13-2004, 01:30 PM

Hi Lars-ss:

___No harm, no foul …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net