Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

ScanGauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

I remember a while back we were discussing if someone have put out an aftermarket MPG gauge and some one found a place in finland that sells one. Well here is one that is sol in the US. It is not the prettiest gauge in the world - but it has a lot of useful data to show (like MPG, voltage, coolant temp, throttle position etc).

At 129 bucks you cannot expect it to look that beautiful. I will get one as soon as I have the money for it.

http://www.scangauge.com/

Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributor ($)

Looks promising.

In the FAQ section it states
QUESTION: Will the ScanGauge be able to clear my trouble codes and turn off my "Check Engine" light?
ANSWER: The ScanGauge will clear the codes and turn off the check engine light on 99% of 1996 and newer vehicles
This would certainly help offest the purchase price. I've heard dealers charge $75 and up just to clear a code on your car.

As for Finland...Previously I wrote several emails to the company in Finland to see if they had a US distributor but they never returned any of my emails.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Atleast its not ugly, i may just get one for myself when I get the money (photography is dang expensive!). It'd also be nice for me to see my RPM and gear for those of us that Toyota thought were dummy enough not to need it.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast

I wrote several times to the finnish company as well without getting any response.

As for it looking odd - I will try to take it apart and see if I can fit in the display in a nice way. I have some dash space taken up by a clock that could easily be better used by this thing.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast

I ordered a ScanGuage. Once I get it, I will let you know how it works out for hybriding. If you do a Google for it, you can see it is popular on some of the Ford F-150 forums, etc., where there have been many positive comments and the ScanGuage staff respond to user posts. It looks like some folks got it for an introductory price of around $100 with a $25 dollar (or so) refund a few months ago, though now the selling price is now $129 (including shipping).

Old 01-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributor ($)

I've got a scangauge in my posession that I've been trying out. Pretty neeat. Tried it on my non-hybrid and it worked very well. I was able to read the check engine code and clear the check engine light.
Finally, the ability to see my realtime mpg in a non-hybrid car.

I also have tried it on my Insight. Woo-hoo. I can see see all sorts of additional info. Intake temperature for example.

Still playing..... and will update when I discover more.

I hope I can test it on a few other hybrids as well.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Very Cool. I have not seen anything else like this on the market before. I've seen home code scanners, but this little gem seems a lot smarter, and has some practical on the road use, especially for the trip computer-less cars out there, which seems to be most of them.

This looks like a great Father's day gift. I wouldn't mind having one either. Anybody have any experience with this in an HSD Prius?

Old 01-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Contributor ($)

I'll be trying it on an HCH on Thursday. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find an HCH or not.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ScanGauge

i found this thread while i was researching for ScanGauge. i heard this from my colleague and though this thread seem to be dead, i would like to ask if there are any updates if they already have a distributor in Alabama? i mostly do my purchases online (i actually just received my pulstar plug i ordered last week) so if there are no distributors yet, i might as well look for online shopping options.