Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

So long to gas guzzler guilt

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Site Founder
Default So long to gas guzzler guilt

For $160 you can turn a Hummer H2 into a zero-emissions vehicle. No tools or mechanical ability are required. That's the promise of a California company called TerraPass. It would cost less, of course, to turn a Chevrolet Cobalt into zero-emissions vehicle. That would only be about $40.

The idea is the latest implementation in the trading of "pollution credits." Those are the market-based innovations, introduced a few years ago, which allow smoke-spewing companies to buy and sell the right to emit certain amounts of pollutants into the air.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/funonw...pay/index.html

Old 06-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: So long to gas guzzler guilt

Good example why trading credits can be ridiculous.

It actually only makes sense if one of the partners in the trade has successfully decreased baseline pollution prior to taking on the burden. Otherwise, the net change of the trade is zero, while the alloted total pollution ('credit') goes up.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

I had posted this thread a few hours earlier, but suffice to say, most of the business are from the environmentally concerned that drive compacts - not many SUV drivers are participating according to the article.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Just so you know... there are many power companies that do this. You just have to go on-line to find them or check with your local power company. If the hybrids had continued to be delayed, I considered purchasing credits to cover my car with a company out of Lakeland Fl. They use multiple technologies including biomass, solar, etc. Since I live in Orlando, it feels like the credits are being used closer to home. Otherwise, Washington DC, NY or California my be getting the benifit. While that's good on a global scale, somehow it is more self-satisfiying when it the benifits are used in a regional setting.

To be honest, we may do this to cover the consumption of energy at our house. I love credits because it forces groups like, the federal government, to purchase from renewable resources, but taxpayer dollars are spent wisely. The government pays the same rate regardless if it comes from a coal buring plant or a wind farm... because we covered the "increase cost" through the purchase of the credits.

Jen