Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

So what makes a good hypermiler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:32 AM
04 prius 350,000km
Default So what makes a good hypermiler?

You know after reading so many threads about driving for fuel economy I've decided to try to incorporate that into my daily driving style. Its been proven that you don't need a fancy car of any kind to start achiving some really high numbers. All you need is a will to drive like no other human being wouldn't dare do, because its a driving style that is not safe if the user does not know what to expect and its very impractical to others to drive behind you in this very conservative state.

One might think, "why is any of this worth it?" well personally I view it as a skill. A technique of true conservatism if one really wants to know if there are better ways to conserve fuel and there is. Amazingly depending on how much you incorporate the techniques into your driving lives, the increase can be as much as thirty percent or more if your really lucky and no one is behind you. Although some of my colleages claim that what I try to do is not very safe at all and one day the savings can mean nothing, but if they truly feel that way then that is fine. I will drive normally when they are on board my car, but when I'm alone that's when the techniquies come into play.

Now my question to my fellow Greenhybrid members, and of course the fuel economy experts (you know who you are , what makes a good hypermiler? And how can I be converted as soon as possible because when I checked out Exel's photo album and his descriptions, I couldn't believe the numbers I was seeing. I am so curious to the point that I would go to the extreme to see if those numbers are achieveable for anyone in any car. If that last statement is true then wow such a simple exploit in science allowed us humans to squeeze every ounce of energy we got. I guess that phrase, "That's what school gets you!" really is true.

Remember its not about saving money, its about the numbers. Once I get the numbers I'll resume to driving normally just for the sake of, "safety". After all I hate people talking on their cell phones when their driving on the same road as I, however, at least they have the option of going faster as their emotions are played by the cell phone. As of I on the other hand am just coasting with my two eyes on the road till my car is too slow to travel on its own momentum, I then have to bump start the engine again to increase speed before areodynamic losses begin to show and then engine off, from there on I can coast till my hearts content. (until someone behind me shows up)

On the side, if anyone knows how to bump start smoothly please let me know! My bump starts are terrible and it sends a nasty shock to the whole car, I just can't figure out the science to do it smoothly. I want to be able to alternate between using the starter and bump starting through the clutch so that I can balance out the wear and tear of the components. Although from the looks of Exel and Krousdb they seem to know how to ...

Please teach me!!!!

Old 02-22-2006, 02:41 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs down Re: So what makes a good hypermiler?

Originally Posted by philmcneal
You know after reading so many threads about driving for fuel economy I've decided to try to incorporate that into my daily driving style. Its been proven that you don't need a fancy car . . .
Remember this is "Greenhybrid.com" and not "you_don't_need_a_fancy_car.com" and we have seen a long string of 'advocates' who come here to tell us how their particular solution is perfect and ours is terrible. Then you claim that high MPG is all in a "driving style" that makes us into 'road hazards' . . . this is not a good introduction. It sure comes over as 'would you hybrid-electric drivers tell me how to drive my gas-only car efficiently not that I want to do it except as a lark.'

By all means, search the archives, search Google, take some engineering courses and learn how to conduct a controlled experiment. Instrument your car(s), lay out a plan and test your hypothsis. But leave us alone until you have a specific question about hybrid-electric vehicles. For example, you mentioned having trouble restarting your engine from a 'rolling start'. Go to a forum that caters to your vehicle and ask the experts there.

So this is my final advice: drive to a hybrid-electric dealer and trade your car in on one. Them come back and ask how to drive the hybrid-electric efficently.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: So what makes a good hypermiler?

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Remember this is "Greenhybrid.com" and not "you_don't_need_a_fancy_car.com"
Only hybrid drivers allowed here I guess.
But leave us alone until you have a specific question about hybrid-electric vehicles.
So you are speaking for the entire GH community?
Go to a forum that caters to your vehicle and ask the experts there.
You forgot to say "don't let the door slam you in the a** on the way out.
So this is my final advice: drive to a hybrid-electric dealer and trade your car in on one. Them come back and ask how to drive the hybrid-electric efficently.

Bob Wilson
Pretty harsh stuff Bob.

Phil, I sent you a PM. Wouldn't want to offend the community here by discussing non-hybrids.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What makes a good hypermiler?

One who beats the rated EPA MPG, and does it in a way so that the other drivers don't notice you.

You are right, it certainly is a skill that requires knowledge, patience and practice.
I must say however that your HCC will prove to be less than an HCH to learn in, as it lacks the excellent FCD provided in the hybrids. Sort of learning how to ski on improvised equipment.
Just as the same skier wouldn't attempt a ski jump before he's ready, a person just learning hypermiling probably shouldn't attempt 30 over EPA, bottling up traffic and causing other problems.

Personally I began with courtesy and saftey #1, not MPG and fuel savings.
Started out in the 40's, did alot of research and with xcel's excellent suggestions made it to 50's, later 60's and peaked last summer hovering upper 60's.
I surely had to do some "wierd" things last summer to escape the tax caused by AC use, but never effected my safe driving.

Yes! You truly can hypermile in your HCC...I'd bet it can achieve wonderful numbers.
Our Grand Caravan is rated 21MPG combined and it always actually did around 16-17 before we got the HCH. I've had some upper 20's MPG while personally driving it last summer, 28MPG is its record.
My wife is the GC's primary driver....and although she is far from taking an interest in hypermiling she now gets about EPA.

One can't claim hypermiling isn't about saving money. I could have just bought the car and continued to enjoy 40's MPG. But I wouldn't have learned how to save fuel in either vehicles. A loss - loss.

Our family of five took a trip to Panama,FL last summer paid by our MPG savings. Consistant +60MPG tanks makes a whole world of difference in saving both money and time spent pumping fuel.

Sorry, I can't help you on bump starting techniques as both our vehicle are AT.

It's really my goal to let as many people know just how much money they can really save on fuel simply by modifying habits.
I welcome anyone to learn the techniques....especially non-hybrid owners, as they are more plentiful and stand alot to gain.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 02-22-2006 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by krousdb
Only hybrid drivers allowed here I guess. So you are speaking for the entire GH community? . . . You forgot to say "don't let the door slam you in the a** on the way out.
Pretty harsh stuff Bob. . . .
I have replied with a private e-mail.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I believe that, with practice and patience, one can become a hypermiler on any car or truck. That is, to exceed the rated MPG. You don't have to be a hazard (i.e. going 35 MPH in a 65 zone). You don't have to be in pain (i.e. no air in the summer).

You learn what buys you more mpg, maybe by some extremes, and apply all of the methods, together, in moderation. The cumulative results will please you.

My challenge, this winter, was to maintain my 52.9 lmpg, as calculated on this site. I have had a couple of bad tanks, but so far, so good. On days of fair skies and wind at my back, I have been able to add runs of 65 miles at 62 mpg. On one exteremely nice day, with the wind blowing in a direction normally reserved for summer, I had a run of 68 mpg. Within a week, we had 16 inches of snow, and the same run in reverse produced a 48 mpg result.

Drive, learn, apply, then repeat. The results may just be something you can live with, with a couple extra bucks in your pocket and a little less polution in the air.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned
Default It Takes Practice

I had my Insight for three years before getting serious about hypermiling. Need to stress I don't expect everyone to hypermile, but I do have a problem with speeding 75mph+, as it defeats the purpose of a hybrid and shorten it's life.

To sum up:
  • Know your dashboard
  • Be aware of where you are driving (stop lights, traffic, etc.). It's generally good safety as well.
  • If you can pick non-peak hours to drive - do it
  • Drive in the rightmost lane most of the time and allow faster traffic to pass
  • Drive at a steady speed (unless you are using Pulse-and-glide)
  • Favor cruising whatever speed your vehicle shifts into it's highest gear without lugging (often 40-50mph)

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 02-22-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:29 AM
04 prius 350,000km

you know what's funny, all my knowledge about hyper miling and conservatism came from this site. If I didn't stumble upon here I wouln't even have an idea what true efficent driving really is. Even posting in "Fuel economy and emissions" wasn't good enough for you guys. (do you want me to post in ANYTHING GOES to keep you guys happy?) If I knew I'd recieve comments like this then ****, maybe I should just go to another forum since I don't have a hybrid either or...

it indeed is for the wealthy or the educated, my place here is done.

and note i did not offend hybrids in anyway. I still love them to death but if you were to carry on the skills from a non hybrid to one... imagine the possiblies...

but no those are now shattered at least for now I'll be back when I'm properly equipped... give me a couple years give or take.

Last edited by philmcneal; 02-22-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

The preface on my last post was not directed at you - it was just an acknowledgement that a few come in expecting a hybrid to painlessly make up for poor driving habits.

I think you started an excellent thread.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: So what makes a good hypermiler?

A better approach would be a non-specific hypermiler FAQ or Wiki-pedia article about hypermiler techniques. For example, I noticed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling

Using Wiki-pedia would let us collect our knowledge with sub-paragraphs describing techniques unique to gas-only, hybrid-electric, diesel or any other technologies. This would provide a resource for newbies as well as a place for 'advocates' to share their insights and get up on the learning curve.

A Wiki-pedia article or a hypermiler FAQ would not end our 'drafts', early reports and follow-up discussions. Hybrid-electric drivers are inclined to fuel efficiency and new techniques are going to show up here. Rather, a Wiki-pedia article or hypermiler FAQ would collect the conclusions about what is already known and accepted practice.

Ideally, a Wiki-pedia article might reference 'Greenhybrid.com' for unique information and discussions about hybrid-electric techniques.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: So what makes a good hypermiler?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands