Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

So what makes a good hypermiler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: So what makes a good hypermiler?

Right in the middle of the Katrina +3.00/g crisis I crashed full-size SUV site over at Edmunds explaining how much driving style effects MPG, and that their own vehicles have a much greater potential than what they are currently getting.

At the time there were about 7 people active in the thread, at first all my points were disregarded because my primary vehicle is an HCH and they thought I was there to cause trouble. Far from it- I was there trying to help them through a difficult time and was very careful in my wording not to be offensive.

Low-and-behold one of the seven actually applied a few tips in my article of driving for efficiency here at GH.com and reported a 7 mpg increase with their Navigator over a few tanks.
His report to the thread really sparked an interest with a few other members but sadly I don't think it really made that much difference to them. More of a "well, good for you" attitude.

I've posted these tips and suggestions all over the net and that attitude is no way SUV exclusive. People think they just get what they get and any changes in habits make little difference.

philmcneal I hope you continue on as a participant here. I'm sure that your quest for better MPG in your non-hybrid HCC will increase your skill and knowledge, and passed to the next person.....hybrid and non-hybrid drivers alike.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself but I've surely made posts which didn't come out right- and a couple of posts in no way reflect the entire community.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned
Default Remember....

We all need to remember that sometimes we don't have a lot of time to post. Most of us (hopefully) will understand that and not always take things to heart. Of course, a few delibertly try to start something, but most of us are not in the mode to flame, flame, flame.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:14 PM
04 prius 350,000km

I'll stay just because you asked me too George, as well to help the noobs out. After all I was once one too... and I can't imagine just abandoning the beggining of many miles to come from a single gas tank...

.. but know i can offically say i'm a hypermiler, hehe. Just you guys wait.

But just remember folks, a hybrid RIGHT NOW RIGHT AT THIS VERY MOMENT is a luxury and there is nothing that will change that except time and mass production.

UNTIL then enjoy great mpg from your cars, the tools are there you just got to use them and of course leave a little early.

The savings is the difference between a fast food sandwhich or the whole combo the choice is yours.

Hey Bob no sweat, I'm sure we just got off on the wrong ground. You offered some good advice before, just keep that side of you up and the discourage side for someone else who deserves it.

Certainally not me! MPG for life.

Last edited by philmcneal; 02-22-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Site Founder

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Remember this is "Greenhybrid.com" and not "you_don't_need_a_fancy_car.com" and we have seen a long string of 'advocates' who come here to tell us how their particular solution is perfect and ours is terrible. Then you claim that high MPG is all in a "driving style" that makes us into 'road hazards' . . . this is not a good introduction. It sure comes over as 'would you hybrid-electric drivers tell me how to drive my gas-only car efficiently not that I want to do it except as a lark.'

By all means, search the archives, search Google, take some engineering courses and learn how to conduct a controlled experiment. Instrument your car(s), lay out a plan and test your hypothsis. But leave us alone until you have a specific question about hybrid-electric vehicles. For example, you mentioned having trouble restarting your engine from a 'rolling start'. Go to a forum that caters to your vehicle and ask the experts there.

So this is my final advice: drive to a hybrid-electric dealer and trade your car in on one. Them come back and ask how to drive the hybrid-electric efficently.

Bob Wilson
Bob, this definitely isn't the type of thing we need here at GreenHybrid. We encourage everyone to do their part and participate in any way they like. I don't see why a variety of strategies can't be used to achieve the same goal. Sure, this site caters to hybrid drivers, but why discourage anyone?

Please don't let this continue.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Jason
Bob, this definitely isn't the type of thing we need here at GreenHybrid. We encourage everyone to do their part and participate in any way they like. I don't see why a variety of strategies can't be used to achieve the same goal. Sure, this site caters to hybrid drivers, but why discourage anyone?

Please don't let this continue.
I appologize.

Bob wilson

Old 02-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by philmcneal
What makes a good hypermiler?
One word, obsession, the common trademark of all the best hypermilers.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Agreed! I'm obsessed.!

Old 02-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
What makes a good hypermiler?

One who beats the rated EPA MPG, and does it in a way so that the other drivers don't notice you.

Yep, that's it for me, though I'll amend it slightly.

A good hypermiler is one who can consistantly beat the EPA MPGs for their vehicle and does so in a manner that isn't to the detriment of other drivers on the road.

It's a skill that pretty much anyone can pick up with some patience and time, and that hybrids naturally excel at.

Though I'll freely admit that there's got to be a degree of obsession in there as well.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Green Missionary

Phil,

I'm glad you will be staying with us. GreenHybrid is a diverse community. There is plenty of room for anyone who shares interests with any segment.

There are many discussions of various driving styles to achieve FE. Most of these are universal, some of them are specifically related to hybrids.

I assumed you have plowed through much of these posts. My advice would be to try to implement new driving techniques individually. When you have tried one, you may decide that it is not for you - for instance if you feel uncomfortable using pulse-and-glide in heavy traffic.

When you do feel comfortable with a driving technique, master it before going on to the next one.

And don't feel guilty if something doesn't seem to work for you. Some things work for some people, other things work for others.

I'll bet you are already far ahead of where you were before joining GH.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Welcome Phil!!!

As a none hybrid driver and a hypermiler or sorts. Restarting the car off the clutch is more up to the car to be smooth and less driver skill. My 06 Civic EX Sedan 5mt sometimes comes off the clutch in grand fashion. So smooth,, its great!! Other times it jerks.

My off clutch restarts are done like this. At 35 mph and up 5th gear is used. I put very slight pressure on the throttle. and i mean just a slight amount. Then let the clutch out untill I feel the 1st hit off restance from the motor and then I drop my foot off. 90% of the time its a very clean restart with no buck or shudder. With practice and noticing how the engine shut off will also help with a smooth restart. the tricky restart is the coasting up to light with engine off and you want to restart at below 35 mph. For verying reasons. I do this alot cause i have Navi in my Civic and dont want to have to go thru a reboot if I ignition start it. At about 8 to 10 mph i place the car in 2nd gear and just use the clutch to bump the engine. 90% of the time it will pop right off.

You have to remember the interface between clutch and fly wheel is a iffy one at best. Even in the best of times. They really dont like each other. If the engine dosent fire on the first fuel, compression, ignition pistion stroke. Its going to jerk. All you can do is hope the drive line is loaded good and that the first piston hits.

I wouldnt worry about wear and tear on the car doing this. Ive been doing it on MT cars for 20 plus years and have never lost a clutch. Ive never lost a CV joint, nor busted anything in a tranny or ripped a fly wheel off the crank. Im just as apt to go the long way somewhere to drive a twisty two lane road and heel and toe the car thru joyfull spirited driving. Hypermiling is just another tool in the driveing bag of tricks.

My 37 mpg isnt a example of good hypermiling. But if you figure in I also drive like a bat out of hell at times. Its not bad.

Not everybody is a xcel. He is a master in skills and style. There are good hybrid pilots that cant touch his mpg and mph average. He lays down some great!!!! Numbers in his Accord and Ranger truck. I happen to have a Accord and Ranger. My wife ruins the mpg in the Accord. Ive pretty much given up on it. just to madding to know Im laying down 45 mpg runs in it or better ,,, than have her drive it 20 miles and ruin it. his Ranger is one year newer than mine and has the better engine in it. mines a work horse for a small truck but really hard to hypermile. I can do better in a small block V8 truck than my Ranger. Its friven very little now days. When it is driven its maint. miles every two weeks or the beds loaded and it working.

When Im hypermiling. I coast alot. Engine off and on. I load drive alot. I try to watch light timeings and traffic flow. I also tend to surf alot. I rarely draft. Surfing is a good tool when driving on the fast side. Your just not making those passing moves as fast. Why not let that suv, truck, or semi take a bit of your burden... LMAO... I dont use p&g much. Its a pain in the ****.

I hope you enjoy your adventure into hypermiling. It will make you a better driver!! We need better drivers on the road. Its just another trick in the trade of driving.

psy

Quick Reply: So what makes a good hypermiler?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands