Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

So what makes a good hypermiler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:06 AM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Re: So what makes a good hypermiler?

Hey Bob no sweat, as long you continue to answer any hybrid questions I throw at you

Lol John when I first wanted a car, I wanted a fuel miser (civic). But back then I didn't know squat about car engines, transmission, lugging and all that fancy stuff. I guess you can say my mileage was pre 30's back in the day. After a visit to GH that number probably rised to about 35 and now I'm hoping to shoot for 50. Although with 0 degrees C temps here in British Columbia and the insane number of agressive drivers, (Apparently where I live has the highest rate of impaired driving :O) it doesn't look very possible. Although numbers like Dan make me jealous and forces me to try harder! But without GH I'd probably be hanging below 30's for sure...

Very interesting info Phy... a few folks told me to bump start with clutch only and no gas (clutch in, put in gear, release to friction point, release even more and then clutch all the way in as car comes back alive) although I notice my bump starts the revs climb quite high and I have to wait for it to settle before rev matching into gear (other people can bump start and rpms only shoot to 500 or so idling waiting to be used, while mine spikes and I have to wait for engine RPMS to settle to be used... ) Ill try with the VERY LITTLE GAS technique and see how that fares for me since hehe you and I technically drive the "same" car. But good to hear your an abuser of bump starting and your man tran is still running!

For those interested in my progess I have a personal thread over at Cleanmpg . With the help of Xcel I think I'll hit my goal soon enough.

But believe me I get lazy too, sometimes its too darn COLD to hypermile! And I have a bad habit of over reving when I'm trying to rev match (like if i have to rev match to 2000 rpms, I'd rev 2500 by accident) but I guess practice makes perfect.

That's it for now, I don't drive enough to fully exploit my new found tricks but maybe in the summer when the weather gets a little better.

But I'm still jealous because you all got hybrids