Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Though I was #1

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Thought I was #1

Finally after 3 years and 60,000 miles I imput 136 tanks into the Mileage Database for my 04 HCH. What a chore. I thought I was #1 for most documented tanks and then saw that 4 cars in the Prius II database have more. So can only claim to be #1 among the HCH crowd. I wish I could say that about my FE. Actually would be happy to finally hit 45 mpg.

Last edited by hybie1; 12-06-2006 at 07:12 AM. Reason: cant spel rite will redo.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Thought I was #1

Originally Posted by hybie1
Finally after 3 years and 60,000 miles I imput 136 tanks into the Mileage Database for my 04 HCH. . . .
Just curious: how did you keep your data records before?

Bob Wilson

Old 12-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Though I was #1

I have 5 x 8 index cards (working on card #9) in the car that I record all info (including math) I also record the card info onto Excel but do not know how to do formulas so have to enter 9 colums including date, miles, gals, ave mpg, display mpg, total miles, total gals, total ave mpg and comments. I plan on posting a request asking how to do the formulas some day soon.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Though I was #1

Originally Posted by hybie1
I have 5 x 8 index cards (working on card #9) in the car that I record all info (including math) I also record the card info onto Excel but do not know how to do formulas so have to enter 9 colums including date, miles, gals, ave mpg, display mpg, total miles, total gals, total ave mpg and comments. I plan on posting a request asking how to do the formulas some day soon.
That part is easy.

In excel, you'll use:

"=" - the first character of the formula signals this is a formula
"A9" - where "A" is the column and "9" is the row. The first cell in the top left is called "A1".
"+-/*" - the arithmetic operators.

So imagine you have a spreadsheet with the following:

+--+-- +-------+
| 3 | 4 | ______+
+--+--+/

In the cell to the right of the "4", enter "=A1*B1" and hit <RETURN>. The cell will fill with "12". Now if you have whole columns of numbers in the A and B columns, you can 'copy' and 'paste' the forumula in cell C1 in the column and excel will adjust the formula to multiply each A cell by the adjacent B cell and save the results in the C cell.

There are other tricks but this should give you 90% of what you'll need to know.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 12-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have many more miles (78k) and just a few more tanks (127).

I created a spreadsheet and printed it, put it in a three ring binder, with pockets, and put it in my car. All the receipts for service and gas go into the pockets. All nice and neat (NOT).

I have 81k on the car and chugging along. It was below 20F this morning, so my mpg took a hit.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Bob, but....Have made a feeble attempt to do excel formulas. could only get 1 row to work . Not sure where to paste formula so whole column does the math. My example. Column A is date B is tank miles C is tank gals and D is MPG or (=b1/c1) Maybe i will attempt when I have someone over my shoulder who knows excel.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That's easy. Just click once on the MPG cell in your first row, for which you have successfully created a formula. You will notice upon clicking that the cell is highlighted with a little black box in the lower right-hand corner. Grab that box and drag all the way down the column. The MPG column will be updated automatically for all rows.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Thought I was #1

Thanks guys. Now I know how to Excel.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I use Steve Makohin's Ultimate Fuel Logbook & Mileage Spreadsheet which is donationware and I downloaded from "somewhere" off the web back in 2004. I couldn't find the download link but googled it and this is what I found:
http://web.newsguy.com/steve-makohin...elLogbook.html
Apparently my work firewall blocks this website and if it doesn't work I apologize.

It is a fully-featured super fancy fuel economy logbook in excel- the best one I've seen and for a suggested $19 found it a real bargain.

It is copywrite by Water's Edge Software and if you care to PM me I can provide further contact information.