Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Tips to getting the best mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tips to getting the best mpg

does anyone have any tips or tricks to getting the best mpg in a prius? I have had my 07 prius for 2 weeks and have gone through 2 tanks of gas (400 miles per tank)...I drive alot. I've seen on this site someone getting 800 miles to a tank...seems impossible..but I saw the proof.!

Old 10-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Tips to getting the best mpg

Hi,
Originally Posted by crystalmarlene
does anyone have any tips or tricks to getting the best mpg in a prius? I have had my 07 prius for 2 weeks and have gone through 2 tanks of gas (400 miles per tank)...I drive alot. I've seen on this site someone getting 800 miles to a tank...seems impossible..but I saw the proof.!
Over in the Prius forum we have a FAQ and folks who like to address questions and concerns about Prius performance. If you have questions about the FAQ, post them as a new thread and we'll be happy to cover the details.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

From what I have read, you can improve your vehicle's fuel economy by using a K&N air filter, synthetic oil and iridium spark plugs. You can also improve your vehicle's fuel economy by properly inflating your tires every week, replacing your car's PCV valve and making sure that your air filter is clean (either by replacing it or in the case of the K&N air filter, by cleaning it).

You can also improve your vehicle's fuel economy by cleaning your trunk, glove compartment, ectetera of whatever you do not need to have with you on the road. Decreasing your car's weight will ensure that less energy is needed to move it.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine
From what I have read, you can improve your vehicle's fuel economy by using a K&N air filter, synthetic oil and iridium spark plugs.
Prius already uses iridium spark plugs.
The K&N air filter does not help reported by Japanese mileage enthusiasts.

Best thing are to avoid short trips and replace Touring 16 inch tires with normal 15 inch Goodyear tires.

Ken@Japan

Old 10-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

In 2001 Prius I can also say that K&N air filter did not alter fuel economy. Reason to buy was basically to purchase 15 less air filters. Synthetic oil may be good for 1 or 2 mpg, as would inflating the tires a bit more. Best tip of all is to drive like the experts do; see the FAQ for that.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ken1784
Prius already uses iridium spark plugs.
The K&N air filter does not help reported by Japanese mileage enthusiasts.

Best thing are to avoid short trips and replace Touring 16 inch tires with normal 15 inch Goodyear tires.

Ken@Japan
I did not know that. I have been reading online automobile enthusaist forums lately and from reading ClubLexus.com's forums in the past 24 hours, torque master spark plugs seem to be even better than Iridium spark plugs for fuel economy. I have not tried them yet so I cannot vouch for them but there are many people on ClubLexus.com's forums that will vouch for them.

Anyway, I have a few driving habit tips that could be used to improve fuel economy. They are to drive at the speed limit and to take your foot off the accelerator when approaching a red light.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know the guy well who just got 800.1 miles on his last tank. Me. . Pulse and glide, higher tire pressures, anticipation of traffic, warmer weather, coasting (gliding). My 2006 has 2700 miles on it now. I use conventional oil at the full mark. I have no idea what break in will do for me. I pretty much have a fresh out of the box car and I am beating EPA estimates reguraly (sp?). There are many variables to consider. I bet you can get in the mid 60's if you drive only on roads that have speed limits between 30-45 mph with little pulse and glide practice. When I rarely go on the freeway, I get 50ish mpg for that segment. Around town, I can easily have all the bars at 75 mpg or greater. Partience and practice.

Thanks,

chris

Old 10-31-2006, 07:31 PM

You GO mr. Chris Brown! Sometimes I wish I had bought a prius. But the civic is more my style even if it isn't optimum for my route.

Good answers Ken. I'm glad I didn't have to type that stuff up. When I read the suggestions I was and was getting ready to reply.

One other suggestion is for you guys in the northern climates is to get a block heater. It will help a lot. And will definitely help for those short trips.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Crystal,

I couldn't sleep so I went for a drive around town. See what you can do with pulse and glide. Notice there are no regen symbols. I coasted to stop signs and lights.

tbaleno,

I have to do what I can to earn respect with you guys on cleanmpg.com.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 11-01-2006, 06:32 AM

Hey, whats with that black at the top of the bars? That should be one solid yellow rectangle. You slacker!

Oh, another tip for better mileage. Take vacations where you don't drive when the weather either requires A/C or where the temps are <60F .

Quick Reply: Tips to getting the best mpg

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands