Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Tire pressure and fuel econonmy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire pressure and fuel econonmy

Originally Posted by Lance from Oregon
So called? Sumitomo themselves calls the HTR 200 a "High Performance Summer Tire". That sure sounds like a performance tire to me that is being marketed for summer use. They do not include it among their Passenger Tires.

You yourself indicated that you use the Bridgestone Blizzak in winter. So if the Sumitomo was such a great general purpose all weather passenger tire, then why are you using different tires in winter?

The majority of drivers DON'T want to have two sets of tires for their car. It looks like this particular Sumitomo model is indeed affordable. But that affordability is going to be offset greatly by having to buy two sets of tires.

And as far as treadwear goes, I find it disturbing that so many performance tires are now on the market with NO WARRANTY on treadlife. And that is exactly what Sumitomo is offering on the HTR 200: ZERO WARRANTY on treadlife.

Perhaps you are comfortable with this, but many consumers simply don't like to buy products from companies that will not stand behind their products, and not offer any warranty on how long the product will last. I would certainly never consider this Sumitomo ( even if they did have either of the Prius tire sizes available in this model ), based just on that plain simple fact.

The last set of tires I bought for my previous Honda were rated for 60,000 miles. When I traded my Honda in for my Prius, the tread on the tires was still fantastic. I'm really not impressed with the factory Goodyears on my Prius, so I will most likely be replacing them early. But when I do, it will certainly be for tires that offer a treadlife warranty.

Well, my experience is very much contrary to yours, so I cannot agree with your broad generalization.

I think the only thing that we agree on here is that we disagree.

Lance
I have two sets of tires because where I live requires it. I cannot understand people who buy general purpose tires and cry when they get stuck in the snow. If I lived in an area such as FL... I would only have the LRR. Also, you are taking tirerack's marketing classification of the tire.

NO WHERE DOES THE TIRE SAY HIGH PERFORMANCE ON IT.

Why aren't you classifying the tire as LRR (low rolling resistance)? Do a search you will find that my HIGH PERFORMANCE tire is listed as LRR by others. I'm sure people on this forum care about that label more than what tirerack labels it. Actually I'll do it for you:

http://www.greenseal.org/resources/r...resistance.pdf

As for warranties... I'm reminded of the movie Tommy Boy. Seriously take my tire out of the equation and put OEM tire in it's place. I have OEM tires on my MINI S and I know for a fact that increasing psi gives me better handling and braking. In fact my owners manual tells me to do this if plan to go at high speeds (over 100mph). If you ever plan on autocrossing you will see this done all the time.

Agree to disagree... ok whatever. Don't take my word for it. Do the test yourself. Measure the distance it takes to stop in a straight line with recommended vs MAX psi from 70mph. Then do a salom test and time yourself to see which one can be done faster. Then disagree with me.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Ford recommends 35psi in tires on their Crown Vic. This car in the past was the car of choice for many police cruisers and highway patrol cars.

The Calif. Highway Patrol puts and maintains 50 psi in all their Crown Vic cruisers, and claims better performance, better stability, better traction, and longer tread life ( which can be a big cost savings when you have a fleet of 100's of cars ).

I personally have NEVER EVER had a tire wear out from the center. ALWAYS the edges go first from cornering, etc. The only way you can damage your tires with too much pressure is if you put more than double the psi, and no one, I don't think, is suggesting that.

The only dis-advantage to 50% higher pressure is on sand / snow or ice.
Every tire manufacturer and every auto manufacturer states low air pressure reduces MPG, and higher air pressure increases MPG. Of course the graph is hyperbolic, meaning you get the most advantage with the first few psi, and the the benefit decreases with each additional psi.

I don't see where the debate is. There are clear facts on this issue all over the place. It should be in every manual. I for example, got it straight from Ford that +10psi was perfectly safe for all driving conditions, but may create a "harsher ride".

-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 06-04-2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: fixed a brain fart
Old 06-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

[quote=livvie;127831]I have two sets of tires because where I live requires it. I cannot understand people who buy general purpose tires and cry when they get stuck in the snow.

We get a little snow here in Minnesota and not one person I know has 2 sets of tires. I do remember the days when my dad kept a set of studs for winter but those days are long gone. If a person gets stuck in snow it's their fault, not the tires', IMHO.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:13 AM

I don't understand your point. Yes it's all about the driver but given the same car, same conditions and you are going to do better with the right tire. I have fun passing SUVs with awd during a snow storm.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

Who wouldn't enjoy passing an SUV in the snow? But in an earlier post you stated that where you lived 'required' the special winter tires. But let's be clear....YOU require it for yourself, winter driving conditions didn't dictate that. A 2nd set of tires is just not practical for a majority of people. However, winter driving lessons should be MANDATORY. Sure, equipment can make a difference but 99% of it comes down to that carbon-based mass behind the wheel.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 AM

Yes. Not required by anybody but myself. I recommend that snows be used in the snow, no harm in making everybody a little safer. Actually it's not me or my spouse that I'm afraid of in the snow, we seem to do pretty good without the dedicated set, it's everybody else that I'm worried about. With the snow tires, our chances of getting out of the way of an accident goes up. My best story was somebody tailgaiting me while I was already moving at a good clip, I knew there was a sharp turn coming and I didn't want to get hit by the guy behind me so I sped up (to gain some distance) and took the turn faster than I should have but with the snows it wasn't a problem, while looking in my review to see the guy go right off the road into the woods. I was lauging pretty hard and felt kind of guilty for not stopping (for about 2 seconds). Oh well.