Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Today I brought my camcorder.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Today I brought my camcorder.

For the past few days I've had a string of good MPG luck- good weather, not too many traffic hastles etc.
Today I bungee-corded a tripod to the back of the driver seat and mounted a camcorder. I set the focus to the distance of the FCD, then zoomed out to also see the road.

Well, wouldn't you know I had one bad luck after another? Then it started to rain/drizzle and one of my worst commute traffic. A strong headwind kicked up. Also, the camcorder was powered by the DC outlet, which is key-switched, and in a very long traffic line I rebooted only to find the camcorder had also swiched off!

I quickly reset the camcorder back to recording and more dumb luck- rebooting is not an option with my movie setup.

I stopped at light after light that are seldom red, had to stop amid a big hill for the flagman's construction, you name it.
Even though I left the house extra early I was almost late for work.

Well, I didn't do TOO bad, as I parked with 60.9MPG, about 5 less than usual.
I also made alot of FE mistakes in my drive as well.

What I had plan to do is edit the most important segments and compile a downloadable MPEG as to possibly help those who may desire.

If anyone is interested in seeing this I'll work on a video, otherwise not.
I haven't reviewed the video at all so as far as I know it might be useless.
Who knows my big head might block the view.
Hope my efforts weren't for not!

Old 05-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Today I brought my camcorder.

What a hoot! Sorry about your struggles.... If it's not a lot of trouble and others too are interested, I'm in. If for nothing else, the entertainment value sounds like it might be there....

Seriously, if you can get a sense of incline, it would be interesting to see how you handle the load. Thanks for the effort!

Old 05-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Let's see the results of your hard work. Please.

Only a hybrid driver would go to such lengths!

Regards,

Old 05-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributor ($)

I'd be interested in viewing it. Actually I am following you lead and did a mile by mile list of my mileage the other day. I haven't taken time to post it. but when I do I'm going to review how you posted yours first.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Only a hybrid driver would go to such lengths!
Sounds like one for the "you know you're a hybrid driver when" list

Old 05-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributor ($)

Videotaping your mileage?!?
When some people ask "Why?", I ask "Why not?

Old 05-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Have you got it done yet? How did manual focus work? Tbaleno got mine today. The quality is not very good and it is 75MB but it does get the point accross.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:30 PM

The quality of yours isn't that bat lakedude. Most people will be listening to your narration. It is excelent. The only way a video of this could be any better is if you had a few more cameras. One pointing at the road and one at the foot well so you could see other things that are going on.

What you have though is quite excellent and I'm looking at getting bittorent up so people can more easily grab it without trashing my bandwidth. If people want to PM I'll give them a link to one of the files. Probably the cropped version.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Thanks again for your help!

Old 05-16-2005, 11:05 AM

I'm being delayed. I want to set up bittorrent and when I went to upgrade some libraries I slightly damaged my system. I decided to finaly upgrade the system to a newer OS. So I'm suffering backlash in getting all my software working. It should only be another day or two. If anyone realy realy wants it I can give out the link if you pm me. Though I may need to reboot so it is possible any downloads would get interrupted.

Quick Reply: Today I brought my camcorder.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands