Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   The ultimate question?????The dumbest comparsion i ever saw (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/ultimate-question-dumbest-comparsion-i-ever-saw-16347/)

JOE540CI 12-11-2007 09:50 AM

The ultimate question?????The dumbest comparsion i ever saw

Why is it that people
say the cost of a hybrid wount offset (or save enough gas) To justify buying one?
1. A camry cost about $27,000 but they don't compare it to another car that cost $27,000? ( always to a cheaper car)
2. Lets say a chevy or bmw or whatever Cost $27,000 but a difernt model cost $5000 more. Does the nicer model have to get more milage to justify
buying it? Should we compare a HCH to a cheap kia and say the honda won.t save enough money to buy one.
My point apples to apples not Hybrids to something cheaper. It is a palin and simple rule,only exception is a better price on two of the same hybrid car models. AMEN

bwilson4web 12-11-2007 10:32 AM

Re: The ultimate question?????The dumbest comparsion i ever saw

Originally Posted by JOE540CI (Post 153675)
Why is it that people
say the cost of a hybrid wount offset (or save enough gas) To justify buying one?
1. A camry cost about $27,000 but they don't compare it to another car that cost $27,000? ( always to a cheaper car)
2. Lets say a chevy or bmw or whatever Cost $27,000 but a difernt model cost $5000 more. Does the nicer model have to get more milage to justify
buying it? Should we compare a HCH to a cheap kia and say the honda won.t save enough money to buy one.
My point apples to apples not Hybrids to something cheaper. It is a palin and simple rule,only exception is a better price on two of the same hybrid car models. AMEN

Exactly! The comparison needs to be a vehicle that meets your transportation requirements and configured to your specifications ... a real choice. Point out the person making the comparison that they are welcome to their POS (Piece of Sh*t) but you have no interest. In fact, your alternative is a <put it the make and model.>

http://home.hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/payback.html

Bob Wilson

Gairwyn 12-11-2007 10:34 AM

I agree with you.
They (the people who say buying a hybrid won't offset the cost of buying one) also never seem to have any complaints about folks who buy "blingmobiles" (cars that cost a lot due to the vast amounts of gadgetry and options), big expensive SUVs, or folks who trade in their cars every year or two.
When I decided to buy my hybrid, it was after having driven the same car since 1991 (we still have it in the family because it's reliable and gets decent gas mileage). I set a price in my head for what I'd pay, which was not much more than I paid for that 1991 car new. I got a used hybrid. I'm not concerned about offsetting the cost of the hybrid because for me it seems to be a good deal.

JOE540CI 12-11-2007 02:38 PM

Yes Indeed. How much $$$ does the "blingmobiles save you or how many miles do you have to drive to justifiy those $3500 wheels, It just dont work! Compare 2 cars with the same price tag or let it go.

1stpik 12-11-2007 06:35 PM

I've been dealing with this convoluted logic since I got my HCH last May.

I'm truly amazed at the number of people who do just what you said: compare a Civic Hybrid to a Kia Rio and "objectively" determine that the hybrid just doesn't make sense. One post on another website actually mocked me for buying a new HCH when I could have bought a 1992 Civic VX (like he did) that gets 40+ mpg.

I wonder why these people live in residences instead of just shacking up at the local homeless shelter. Think of all the money they'd save!

Quips aside, the only legitimate comparison between a hybrid and a standard car is the Honda Civic vs. the Civic hybrid. They're EXACTLY the same cars except for the propulsion systems. True apples to apples.

JTirak 12-11-2007 07:57 PM

I compared the hybrid I bought to the last Subaru I had. With the Subaru I was filling up every 5 or 6 days. with the NAH. It is more like once a month and I have a better car and my insurance rates moving from a 1999 to a 2008 didn't change with a much better car and a ton more options.

gpsman1 12-11-2007 09:44 PM

There is a 4cyl gas Ford Escape, a V6 Ford Escape, and a Hybrid Escape.

The Hybrid has nearly the same power as the V6 so you should compare it to the V6. The Hybrid cost about $3000 more in 2005. I think it costs about $3600 more now.

For me, in Colorado, buying the HYBRID Escape was CHEAPER than buying the V6 and about the same as the 4 cyl. Tell your "friends". Here's why.

An EQUALLY EQUIPPED V6 Escape (basically loaded) costs ~$27,000 USD.
In 2005, a fully loaded Hybrid Escape cost me $30,200 USD.

In 2005, the state of Colorado gave me a $3200 tax refund for buying an "alternative fuel" vehicle. Now I'm at the same price as the V6.

In 2005, the IRS gave me a $500 tax refund for buying a hybrid.
( It's higher now ) So now I'm $500 cheaper than a V6.
That's before I even drove one off the lot!!!!!

In the first year, I saved $800 in gasoline.
Now I'm $1300 Cheaper than a V6 Escape!

In the second year, I drove less, but prices went up, so I also saved about $800 in gas.

Now I'm in my third year, and prices are high, and I have a new job and am driving more. I've saved $1200 in gas this year alone compared to an equal, V6 Escape.

My best bud Dave Sez... " There are no stupid questions, only stupid people."

:D

Whiterook 12-19-2007 11:26 AM

Yup.
It's an old point I've tried to make, too.
I have a 36 mile (one way) commute and need a pretty serious commuting type car; not a Neon, not an Echo, etc. The car I traded in for my 06 Prius was a 1999 Ford Taurus.
My Taurus cost me around $23,000 in 1999 (with financing).
My Prius cost me around $25,500 (or so) in 2006 (with financing).
A pretty good price comparison when taking account of inflation (and the simple fact that the Prius is a BETTER car!)

With the more than doubling of my gas mileage (23.3mpg for the Taurus vs 51+mpg for the Prius), there's just no question that the Prius is a better (and more economical) value for the dollar.

MiaTurbo 12-20-2007 06:14 AM

Someone compared our '04 civic to a [91?]CRX-HF that gets 50mpg on the highway. I brought out the fact that the Civic seats 4 adults, a trunk for luggage, CD player, power windows/mirrors/locks, cruise control, ABS/Traction control, P/S and A/C. All standard equipment, and I average 42mpg in real world day-to-day driving, not just pulling highway miles on a good day.

I never got a rebuttal to that :)

We actually paid under sticker price for ours. But then add in the tax credit. and the difference between a comperably equiped civic is marginal. then add in the 25% fuel savings over the next 5-6 years, and we'll be on top.

bwilson4web 12-20-2007 09:29 AM

Also, always make sure the other car has a similar transmission, an automatic. All of the current hybrids have automatic transmissions and this is not a trivial challenge for the non-hybrid cars.

Bob Wilson