Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Variable Valve timing

Old 06-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well I admit not being as technically knowlagable as you all are, but I do see what seems to be a possible improvement on the HCH CVT.

I've noticed while coasting but not to the point of charging, I am dragging along all the mechanics of the engine: Steveo you mentioned copper to the sleeve, also bushings & bearings turning etc.
Shutting down 3 of the 4 cylinders are great but in this conditon why not shut all 4 down and disconnect ICE completely? Just like a disconnected MT clutch plate? IMA could still spin for the charging if the foot is backed further off.

All this dead engine friction needlessly wastes kinetic energy and MPG.
I'll occasionally get around this by shifting into neutral. Wish I could back off the foot feed to a point and get the same results as a disconnected clutch plate.

I know Steveo and Wayne were talking about valves, timing & such but I was wondering your take on this.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:44 PM

Steve,
How interesting, i was just thinking about that during a little debate wether the IMA was really a hybrid. For the second gen. of the IMA having a clutch between the IMA and crank (think like normal trans but backwards sense IMA motor is used as flywheel). Not only would it improve the regeneration...but the IMA could be used as the sole power source during stop and go traffic. The system would increase weight a little so it wouldnt be quite as quick and a little more inefficient...but a stealth mode would be possible so it would really be void.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 06-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Stevo12886@Jun 20th 2004 @ 8:29 PM
and Mazda has recently come up with (or was it Mitsubishi?) a three stage cam lift and duration...
i think Mitsubishi...look at the lancer ralliart

Old 06-30-2004, 04:23 PM

Flare,
Was just reading through my Car and Driver s and it is Mitsubishi...its called MVEC.
Cheers,
Steven