Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Old 04-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Obviously, I hope no one has taken the video while driving, but does anyone know of a video or simulation where someone actually shows / narrates the pulse and glide technique?

I looked on YouTube, but saw nothing.

{edit} PS: Several threads reference a FAQ about best driving techniques, the only FAQ I'm finding on this forum is about posting / managing my account. Where ist he MPG FAQ?

Last edited by mjcmjc; 04-09-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Banned
Default Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Originally Posted by mjcmjc
Obviously, I hope no one has taken the video while driving, but does anyone know of a video or simulation where someone actually shows / narrates the pulse and glide technique?

I looked on YouTube, but saw nothing.

{edit} PS: Several threads reference a FAQ about best driving techniques, the only FAQ I'm finding on this forum is about posting / managing my account. Where ist he MPG FAQ?
I did one a few weeks ago > http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3958

In the video, I run the engine a couple of seconds, then glide down the alley to a main road after three turns (sorry the camera is shaky and makes the ride seem....rough). The video ends half-way to the 0.4 mile glide to the first stoplight - got still pictures of the rest of the way.

I generally do this early in the morning when traffic is generally not a problem

Old 04-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Chuck, For some reason your video reminds me of a pinball game--especially when you a going down the alley (chute).

Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Banned

If you watch the video, on the first turn is a house that is for rent. It's been frequented by a Ford F350 at times.

I wish it was on the video posted to give it the "monster with a chain gun" around the corner in Doom II.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

I am sure your neighbors see you and think, "Here comes Smilin' Bob with his big gun. We had better get out of his way."

It would be fun to vaporize anyone that impedes our glide path.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Banned

I generally make my alley run at 6am. Peak speed is typically 22mph.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

That's not really a good example of P&G. That is an example of FAS or "Forced Auto Stop".

Maybe that's all you can do in an Insight, but that's not how most people do it... most people with a hybrid capable of EV that is....

P&G usually does NOT require turning the key off!
-John

Old 04-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Banned
Thumbs down Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Originally Posted by gpsman1
That's not really a good example of P&G. That is an example of FAS or "Forced Auto Stop".

Maybe that's all you can do in an Insight, but that's not how most people do it... most people with a hybrid capable of EV that is....

P&G usually does NOT require turning the key off!
-John
gpsman1,

Could you refrain from bait please?

Pulse and glide and Forced Autostop existed decades before hybrids....please refrain from this silly HSD vs IMA hybrids feud and your differences as to how Wayne Gerdes hypermiles. I have not been personal with you in the past and would appreciate if you could return the favor.

That run on the video was running with the gas engine on about 20 or so yards, then coasting with the engine off as much as 0.4 miles - definitely pulse and glide. Emphasis is on the glide, but that's the point.

mjcmjc requested a video, then you proceded to attack it - that's why I hesitated to provide it. Not a very helpful atmosphere when someone attempts to provide info, only to have another member attack it.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 04-11-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It's a fine video. Just label it what it really is please.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

John,

{trying to be dispassionate here} Perhaps you might want to define your terms - P&G, FAS, etc. If you want to describe P&G on an HSD, go for it - it would be helpful to the requestor. My definition of Pulse and Glide is not restricted to any type of vehicle, as it's been used since the 1930's or 1940's

Originally Posted by definition
A technique used to increase the FE of any automobile under the right conditions significantly above your automobiles EPA city/highway. In a nutshell, it includes a Fas in many hybrid and non-hybrid automobiles to a lower target speed (some hybrid’s can be influenced into this mode of operation with the right application of multiple accelerator pedal inputs), reigniting the ICE , re-engagement of the Tranny with rev match, and re-acceleration to a higher target speed, repeat. Pro’s include maximizing FE in a low speed suburban or city environment (speed limits less then 45 mph). Con’s include lowering your overall average speed (more time to get to point B), a lot of work given the undulations depending on the type of hybrid or non-hybrid you are driving, and both gear reduction starter and pre-mature transmission wear from re-engagements at speed depending on the automobile being analyzed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands