Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

I know that I sometimes also mix up terminology. It's no big deal. The video was linked here to be a help for those interested. I'm not going to quarrel over it.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

"Efficient drivers do it better."

Hot_Georgia that's the one area where I'm not sure efficiency is better!

Cool video Delta Flyer- were you holding the camera or did you strap it to something?

Old 04-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brady
Cool video Delta Flyer- were you holding the camera or did you strap it to something?
Thank you, Brady

Wish there was something to attach the camera. Best I could do is semi-anchor it against a sun shade - not much of an anchor but better than nothing.

Normal driving would result in about 50mpg over those 0.4 miles, but doing it this way it's 100-200mpg or even better.

Obviously, I have to be very alert in the part with three turns.

One thing to note - modern cars take frequent restarting much better than in the past. In fact, a Canadian govt. site recommends against idling more than 10 seconds at intersections (pollution, gunk in engine).

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 04-12-2007 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
John,

{trying to be dispassionate here} Perhaps you might want to define your terms - P&G, FAS, etc. If you want to describe P&G on an HSD, go for it - it would be helpful to the requestor. My definition of Pulse and Glide is not restricted to any type of vehicle, as it's been used since the 1930's or 1940's
I agree with you ... I have only had my Prius for 3 weeks, but I was doing P&G with my GTI for 5 years, and my Corolla for 6 years before that ... and I never heard of the term "pulse and glide" until a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the vid.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:52 AM
Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

sorry, but you actually you need a hybrid synergy drive to do the REAL pulse and glide, because the gas engine is OFF during the glide.

Here is a link to learn more:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224

Old 04-23-2007, 05:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hueristix
sorry, but you actually you need a hybrid synergy drive to do the REAL pulse and glide, because the gas engine is OFF during the glide.
Hopefully you are fully awake now - the engine was clearly off for over 90% of the video.

Revisit the link to the video and note that it's clear in the text the car engine is off, except for the first 2-3 seconds. Also if you look at the video (I'm working on a clearer video...), the tach on the left of the dash is lit up those 2-3 seconds, then zero the remainder - the oil & battery lights are on after that "pulse" (i.e. the engine is not running), the instant mpg indicator in the lower center of the dash is pegged at 150mpg after the "pulse".

This technique has been used for decades - a quick burst of the engine to get 20-30mpg, then coast in neutral for a considerable distance. If that is not pulse and glide - what is? It was used during the gas rationing in World War II, a fuel economy contest in the 1950's (sponsored by Mobil, but not the cross-country event), depicted in a 1970's Reader's Digest article on how to make it to a gas station in a pinch. Some of these fuel economy techniques and variants have been rediscovered in recent years.

I won't deny it's different or easier in a Prius or Camry...

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Note to dialup users: Video is a 20MB mpg file and will probably take 5-10 minutes to download. Recommend download to hard drive.

It took a little work to figure out how to pulse and glide behind my home in the alley and down the street to the first stoplight 0.4 miles away, but here is a video and still pictures illustrating how it was done.

Typically I do this at 6am when traffic is very light. Normal driving would get a result of 50 mpg in my Insight - P&G as illustrated yields 100-200mpg (139.5mpg in this instance). While I hand anchored the camera against the sun visor, it will still be a bit shaky - sorry.

To see Video, go to this page, then click to view or download video

A video description:
  • Already off the ramp in behind my house in the alley with a half-second pulse and glide to exit the garage and climb three feet (one meter up the alley)
  • (Begin Video) Start the car
  • Get to 25mph in 20 yards. (Fast - I usually cut off at 20mph. Yes, I brake for children and jackrabbits)
  • Cut ignition (dash goes dark) No more gas on the rest of video!
  • Glide 100 yards or so down the alley, turn ignition back on. Ignition has to be off 2-3 seconds or engine will "diesel" back on and defeat the gas savings of pulse and glide.
  • Sharp left turn (wish the Ford F350 was at the end of the alley this time for a Doom II monster effect )
  • Go 20 yards to the end of alley into resdential street.
  • Sharp right turn to residential road. Don't worry - the silver PT Cruiser is safe!
  • 15 yards on residential road
  • Sharp right turn to get on major road. I do look for oncoming traffic.
  • Glide 0.2 miles downhill to traffic light. (End Video - see pictures below) Got 139.5mpg instead of the typical 50mpg at this point. I've gotten 100 to 200mpg.
Pictures of the Rest of the Glide After the Video

MPG reading in alley: 20mpg

Past the alley on the major road at 0.2 miles - 66mpg

Crested a hill starting to accelerate to the stoplight ahead - 92mpg

Closer...

Accelerating...

Almost there

Finally at the stoplight 0.4 miles from home - 139.5mpg.

What if the light turns green? It's a bonus - turn the engine on, get up to 30-35mph, coast 0.5+ miles to the next stoplight.

Maybe this makes an excellent case for EV mode.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 04-23-2007 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

When you say "coast in neutral" that implies the engine is idling.
Maybe you meant completely off or maybe neutral?

Perhaps this technique is quite old and the hybrid is not required,
however, I feel you need a hybrid to utilize PAG properly-
or in the very least to keep it from being a major pain in the *** if not safety issue.

Therefore, with due respect I maintain it is silly to talk about it as a practical technique without a hybrid!!

I certainly would not try it on HWY 17...

Old 04-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Banned

Again, reading the text and watching the video it's obvious the car is coasting with the engine off - nothing subtle about that.

I know quite a few that do what I did in the video in both hybrids and non-hybrids - they are comfortable with it.

Your assertion that a driving techinque that dates to World War II is now illegimate because HSD hybrid drivers discovered it 60+ years later is not very rational.

I noticed that when looking up for your past posts, the first 24 don't show up. If they resememble the posts on this thread, that's easly to understand.

Maybe you should consider describing P&G in a Camry instead.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 04-23-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

I don't understand what you are saying about my posts?
Nor does it matter to me.

It is a bit confusing with you coming to a web site specifically meant to discuss hybrid vehicles, and try to recommend pulse and glide for non-hybrid vehicles, which is downright impractical, and then justify it because they did it 60 years ago. Oh but I am the irrational one?

P&G in a Camry is exactly like the Prius- but since the car is heavier, you get MPG in the 40s not 90s... all you do is get the gas engine to turn off, without having the electric regen slow the car down, all by lightly pressing the pedal just right. This is what pulse and glide means TODAY, sorry! and sorry if I insulted you, I just think this whole thing is silly! Turning the car on and off with the key is NOT safe for 98% of drivers, nor is the engine designed to withstand that abuse; that is still my opinion. With hybrids, even grandmas can try to pulse and glide.

... and still looking for videos of hybrid driving techniques!

Last edited by hueristix; 04-23-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hueristix
It is a bit confusing with you coming to a web site specifically meant to discuss hybrid vehicles, and try to recommend pulse and glide for non-hybrid vehicles, which is downright impractical, and then justify it because they did it 60 years ago. Oh but I am the irrational one?
Yes you are:
  • You deny the engine is off in the video when it's plain it's coasting in neutral - engine off.
  • While I seldom drive with one hand, yet could do the video with the camera in one hand without a problem - sound impractical?
  • You conviently ignore the fact people in hybrids and non-hybrids alike do what was done in the video. If you truly wanted to be helpful, do (or ask for) a video showing how it's done in the Camry. I for one would be interested to study it - seriously.
Things were going nicely before you baited this morning - could you make some constructive posts for a change?

I'm sorry you are compelled to pick a fight - I've get better things to do.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 04-23-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Video or Simulation of Pulse & Glide

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands