Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

we made the AP news, my 5 minutes of fame

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 AM
my other car is a FJORD
Default we made the AP news, my 5 minutes of fame

i was interviewed by AP last week, along with delta flyer and wayne. our article has been picked up by several sources, including business week:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8PE6LGO1.htm

Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: we made the AP news, my 5 minutes of fame

Excellent!

Well balanced article. Kudos to all.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 PM
my other car is a FJORD

as an update, this story has been picked up all over the country, canada and great britain. maybe someone will get the idea it works!!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Some of us made Edmunds too recently:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...0/article.html

Old 05-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Kudos to all.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Energy Independence

Oh no! Celebrities among us! What EVER will we do?

Congrats, folks, on spreading the word!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was interviewed for the article, but being such a newbie to the whole hybrid experience didn't get included. It got posted today on our local newspaper's website (The St. Paul Pioneer Press), and the comments are horrid and obviously made by people who haven't a clue. I posted a response to try to shed a little light on the mystery that is hybrid vehicles, but my one good comment is looking a little lonely. So, if you're so inclined, here's the link to the story: http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_6015814

Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by queenfan
I was interviewed for the article, but being such a newbie to the whole hybrid experience didn't get included. It got posted today on our local newspaper's website (The St. Paul Pioneer Press), and the comments are horrid and obviously made by people who haven't a clue. I posted a response to try to shed a little light on the mystery that is hybrid vehicles, but my one good comment is looking a little lonely. So, if you're so inclined, here's the link to the story: http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_6015814
Replied.

Reading some of those replies suggests some responders have the emotional maturity of a two-year old - under the legal age to drive if you ask me.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 AM
my other car is a FJORD

thanks, chuck and mary. i saw that one, and left a comment.........they really are snotty out there.........

Old 05-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: we made the AP news, my 5 minutes of fame

Originally Posted by laurie
thanks, chuck and mary. i saw that one, and left a comment.........they really are snotty out there.........
I was going to add one but realized "teaching a pig to sing . . ." Like stepping on some poo, it might stick to the shoe and you risk tracking it back into the house.

Bob Wilson

ps. What I didn't post:

Hybrid owners tend to come in two of three flavors: (1) greenie, (2) cheapie, and (3) techie. Since I'm a cheapie-techie, the car has turned into quite a lot of fun. Being able to use it as a 1 kW generator with the same fuel consumption as a Honda generator has turned out very nice. The car has an impressive amount of electrical energy, enough to run most houses!

My license plate reads, "C-52MPG" and I don't mind being able to afford a nice dinner after a long drive. But the lower vibration and noise is something else.

The car doesn't 'beat you up' on a long distance drive. Cruising at the speed limit is a lot less tiring and you arrive feeling like you can do more. It just doesn't have the sound, vibration and stress of gas-only cars.

As for accidents, physics tells us the energy is proportional to the velocity squared. The SUVs are the ones squaring their energy with higher velocities and their higher center of gravity tip-overs. It sure is funny how many of them end, upside down with broken necked and head injury occupants. In contrast, the low center of gravity, air-bag protected hybrids just slide across the road without rolling.

Personally, it is a good thing that some folks advocate and drive low-MPG vehicles. That ensures they don't have any spare change for other mischiefs.

Quick Reply: we made the AP news, my 5 minutes of fame

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands