Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

What about non-hybrid cars in the database?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default What about non-hybrid cars in the database?

Seems as though it would be good to compare real mileage of both hybrid and traditional power plants so that we could actually see the impact of hybrid technology on the auto market as a whole.

I would love to see real mileage stats on other cars. With everybody uncertain about the EPA ratings and whether they're meaningful or not, especially after revamping the testing process, it seems real data would be very helpful. I always ask people but you never know what they'll respond with, usually it's some form of idealism or wishful thinking. The mileage database circumvents any emotional attachment to the FE because its based on real long term data. (And it would also be helpful to have data about the city/hwy proportion of each tank, can that feature be added? Seems a lot more relevant than temperature and ride time to me).

It would also help people make educated decisions about whether a hybrid could work for them or if a traditional car might come close to meeting their needs. I am considering buying a Honda Fit, for example, because I really wanted a hatchback rather than a sedan. As such, I would love to see what owners are really getting for FE in those cars.

I realize this is a hybrid enthusiast's forum and tracking all that other info might be beyond the intended scope of this site, but we all are likely to have other cars in addition to our hybrids so it isn't unrealistic to think we could put together a reasonable variety of cars. And you can probably safely assume that if we're tracking mileage carefully on our hybrids we are most likely doing so on our other vehicles as well.

Great site, I've enjoyed my years here so far. I just thought adding that extra data would be a great extension of this excellent resource.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: What about non-hybrid cars in the database?

A number of web sites tried to copy the Greenhybrid mileage database but most suffer from the problem of small numbers. But it turns out the EPA started soliciting user mileage records for all vehicles:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Over time, the EPA improved their database and now offer features similar to GreenHybrid. This database is open to all makes and models sold in the USA and the numbers of vehicles are becoming significant.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What about non-hybrid cars in the database?

Excellent. Just what I asked for. Thanks! :-)