Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

What data do you track and why?

Old 06-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default What data do you track and why?

Hi,

I put in an order for a TCH a couple of weeks ago and I expect it in 1-2 months. I think that I will be pretty geeky about analyzing mileage data, and will be keeping a spreadsheet to study trends. My question is: what data do people like to maintain, and why? I'd like to be able to continually draw new insights over time regarding mileage as it relates to a wide variety of variables.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 06-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What data do you track and why?

I track all the data that GreenHybrid's database captures/calculates:
  • MPG per tank
  • # of gallons per fuel-up
  • Cost per fuel-up
  • Current odometer reading @ time of fuel-up
  • Miles per tank (computed via odometer readings and verified against trip meter per fuel-up)

I don't track temperature but post tank data here on GreenHybrid within 24 hours of fueling so that data gets reliably captured as well. (For Texas, most of the year is 80-90+ degrees Fahrenheit; not much variation )

Old 06-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

All that plus

lifetime mpg
dollars per gallon (gas price)
also displayed vs calculated mpg (keep track both ways)

Old 06-25-2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by lakedude
All that plus

lifetime mpg
dollars per gallon (gas price)
also displayed vs calculated mpg (keep track both ways)
I can calculate lifetime MPG and dollars per gallon from the data I collect. No need to track it in my little notebook, at least not yet (small data set, still )

Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

I keep track of everything GH and www.fueleconomy.gov keeps track of, plus price each time I fill up, for a running cost. And I've got a MPG calculator that calculates to see how much money I would've spent, saved, and how long to overcome the initial price difference (Hybrid "cost") between my FEH, the Escape I would've gotten, and my old '95 Explorer.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:15 PM

I keep a similar spreadsheet to what the others keep. I track the miles for that tank, the total miles on the car, the gallons to fill up, the cost per gallon, the lifetime mpg and the theoretical savings when compared to my former 2004 V6 Escape at 17 or so mpg. I also plot that all on a line graph. I'd be more than happy to email it to you if you PM your email address to me.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Vegetarian

When I fill up I wirte on the receipt displayed mileage, and miles driven. The receipt ofcourse has the date, gallons and price.
Since there is so much time between fill ups I don't keep track of what kind of trips I take (distance, speed, time), or the temperature.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:44 PM

MPG - obvious
Cost - so I know how much money is going towards fuel

don't really care about anything else

Old 06-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Temperature and weather conditions have a HUGE effect on fuel economy, maybe the largest effect right along with average speeds driven.

Since you are geeky and likely a little more than conversant with math you should be able to create your own personal algorithm for your typical drive, assuming it's somewhat repetitive.

Starting with the EPA numbers as a baseline ( 100 ) create a seasonal weighted average of your overall FE based on your personal drive and your personal methods.

Here is an interesting point I've noted. The Prius seems to be much more sensitive to highspeed driving than the TCH. The Prius takes a significant hit in FE at 70 mph and higher moreso than does the TCH. That's curious and seemingly against the laws of physics.

Expect your fuel economy to suffer by about 10% in cold weather months if you live in a wintry area.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

I just keep tract of the MPG that gave me for that fill,I note it down and come home and enter the data in the GH database.I dont keep track of the cost of the gas but will feel happy for paying less money for more miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What data do you track and why?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands