Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

What milage should I be getting

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Default What milage should I be getting

I drive a honda civic hybrid, and I'm wondering what kind of milage I should be getting in chicago with the snow and cold. What are you midwesterners getting on your recent tanks? I'm only getting about 34mpg. The last tank the mpg the computer reported was 38 but the calculations based on fuel put in and distance was 34. I know that the calculations won't be 100% correct based on how much fuel I put in each tank and stuff but is 34 or so way low for a hybrid at this time of year or is it near a typical result?

I drive 2 20 mile trips per day to and from work in suburban trafic.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I'm about 200 miles south of you, so I may or may not be in similar conditions. I drive a 2005 HCH.

When things are cold, (semi)-windy, and wet/snowy, I'm as low as 35mpg. Some of these miles are my 3-mile highway "accelerate to 65mph and I'm there" commute to and back work. Some miles are typical suburbia driving. In these conditions, I get about 40mpg on a 150 mile freeway trip.

When the temps reach 45-deg, I get about 40mpg, and 43.5mpg on the freeway. When the sun is out I swear the mileage numbers jump up another 2-4mpg, but I haven't been able to burn a full tank with the sun

I'm also working on proving that playing "The Velvet Underground" ups the mileage even more, but that might just be me.

I'm pretty close to 5000 miles, but I'm pretty sure I've hit my break-in period.

Just to be curious, are you running your compressor a lot, ie in defrosting your windshields? That could have a decent effect on your mpg.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:17 PM

No, ac is off all the time these days. I used that trick so I can run the defroster without the ac. I guess it sounds like I'm doing about the same mileage as you. Thanks for the response.