Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   What MPG do I use for the mileage database> (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/what-mpg-do-i-use-mileage-database-580/)

mcbrunnhilde 06-04-2004 02:39 PM

I just added my fillups to the mileage database, but I wasn't sure whether I should use the display mileage (which seems to be a bit optimistic in the 2004 Prius) or the actual calculated MPG.

Thanks!

Hot_Georgia_2004 06-04-2004 02:43 PM

If you want the most accuracy then enter the calculated amount if the dispay is not correct.
In my case it is pretty accurate.
Thanks

mcbrunnhilde 06-04-2004 02:46 PM

I guess I'll go back and change it. If I'd been able to use the same pump all the time, it would probably be a little better....

Jason 06-04-2004 02:58 PM

I've been using the display, just because it's easier. In the end, it will only make a difference of 1-2 MPG. If 1-2 MPG makes the difference in someone's car purchase, they're either psycho or driving a truck :P

johanerlandsson 06-04-2004 03:23 PM

I hoped that everyone was calculating the numbers (isn't it called the Real Mileage Database?). The display in my 2000 Prius is always 6-14 % too optimistic. It is not only optimistic, but also varies a lot. Don't know how it works.

Jason 06-04-2004 03:31 PM

6-14? Wow! Real as in not "CBS 35" or "EPA 60" averages. There is no possible way I can mandate how the hundreds of people using the system are going to calculate their averages. If I could force everyone to record their odometer and fuel amount numbers, I would. It just isn't going to happen, though.

johanerlandsson 06-04-2004 03:40 PM

What I've seen from the members on GreenHybrid so far, they seem to be willing to make an effort when it comes to mileage... :P

But I can see your point, and I guess you know your members a lot better than I do. How about recommending to find out the average deviation on the display, and then recalculate before entering the data here? In my case I would take my display mileage of 48 and take away the average 10 % to get 43.

Jason 06-04-2004 03:47 PM

Too hard :) In today's world, quantity rules over quality. However, there are still things I can do. I plan to add a few more features to the database when I have time. Of these would be allowing the member to select whether their measurement is by display or calculation. Another is the average % speed over/below the limit.