Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Whats the best tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wayne,
pssst, I'm above epa...pssst...lol
Anyway....check out the notes from my last tank.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 07-03-2004, 02:44 PM

Hi Steve:

___With your new found technique(s), you should be able to duplicate this across an entire tank or a few hundred miles … That is even better then my Corolla’s 750 + mile tank from last week!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-03-2004, 03:13 PM

Wayne,
I know....crazy to think. Next weekend I'll be going down to buy a digital camera...if I do it friday...I may take saturday and go shoot some pictures up north. There is a great highway there that the speedlimit actually is 55. Oh...and you forgot a few other people for the hypermilers club...i'm reasearching all the non-hybrids right now. krousdb is over EPA, so is case sensitive, as well as basjoos...just sad you left out us non-hybriders.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 07-03-2004, 03:39 PM

Hi Steve:

___I mentioned that I have left out quite a few hypermilers and especially the non-hybrid pilots. I just don’t have time to look up the combined of the non-Hybrid automobiles tanks members have posted to date. How did I miss Krousdb? I didn’t include any overrides because they may not have any documentation over the distances shown? I also didn’t include 1 tank posters either …

___I just took a quick glance and there are even more Hypermiler’s that have shown up since even my last list! Maybe Jason can create a Hypermiler section/link that will track automatically? Maybe he do this by adding a section to the tank form where the individual lists his or her automobiles EPA City/Hwy estimates and can create the combined to compare to from that?

___For your research, you might want to consider the EPA’s Fuel Economy Guide --> Find a Car site as it is the fastest method I know of to look up a particular automobile. It doesn’t go back to many years but enough to get the bulk of the non-Hybrid pilots included in the list.

___Finally, before you head on out for your drive next weekend, fill up your Corolla’s tank to its maximum. The 03 Corolla has always accepted another 2 gallons over listed capacity, the 03 MDX has always accepted another 4 gallons over listed capacity, and the Insight will take another 3.1 gallons over listed about every third tank or so.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-03-2004, 03:55 PM

Wayne,
Those three i said was after research, I used autotrader. The combined could maybe use the percentage of highway/city provided with each tank. I'm wondering when i will ever get a chance to empty a full tank, with gas prices low i want to run a tank of V-Power through.
Cheers,
Steven

Oh...and back OT, The three PSI increase I made in my tires today made a huge difference in ride quality...i could feel every expansion joint on the Interstate.

Old 07-03-2004, 07:04 PM

Wayne,
Hmmm, I had thought i was above EPA...but even with the calculated on actual highway percentage im not. EPA is the only source that has actually stated my car as 29 as opposed to 28 in city, and most sites dont have separate highway values for the 3 or 4 spd. auto's. I have work to do.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 07-13-2004, 10:37 AM
TLH
Enthusiast

I boosted psi to 40# and noticed a much better feel for the road (I don't like mushy) and a slight improvement in mpg. I don't have figures to hand -- I loaned out the HCH to a friend who's in PA (his Subaru is in the shop). My results are also skewed by my passengers' requirement for a/c. (The only reason I don't gripe about summers in DC is I've lived in Chicago and Houston -- and NYC one summer. This ain't bad.)

Is it really safe to run at max psi?

Another question, speaking of a/c: Does driving with the windows open really affect fuel efficiency, by changing the aerodynamics of the car?

Old 07-13-2004, 01:54 PM

Hi TLH:

___I run well over the max sidewall and the only detriment is a rather harsh ride. Since I don’t run high speeds, I cannot tell you much about that but in low speed maneuvering, she is more responsive with much higher rather then lower pressures. My tread depth over the last 25,000 miles has only dropped by 2 - 3/32’s of a maximum 9/32’s I can lose from the 11/32’s (new) to begin with. This comes from tires rated for just 30,000 miles!

___Safety wise, the pressures on the door would probably be the best bet for max comfort and performance (not mileage by any means) but catastrophic disassembly occurs in the neighborhood of 125 + #’s from my understanding.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-13-2004, 02:58 PM

My honda dealer on the 10K mile interval reduced my tires to 41PSI.

A couple of weeks ago I grew tired of overcoming them for MPG so I raised them back to the sidewall 51PSI cold pressure.
I'm a happy camper ever since.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

I just could not let this pass. When you increase the tire pressure on any standard car tire you are asking for some serious problems. The people who made that tire built it to operate safely at some pressure up to certain load weights. Increasing your tire pressure to the max is a durn unsafe thing to do.

Keep it at the recommend standard, say 34 or what ever, DO NOT go by the car book, look on the side of the tire and never fill it to the max!! For example say you get new tires different from what came on the car. Would you still follow the book? Nope, follow the tire its self.

A mile or two per gallon increase in gas mileage is not worth risking your life or the life of the people in your car and other drivers.

Quick Reply: Whats the best tire pressure?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands