Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Whats better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Whats better?

I can travel to work one of two ways on my 47 mile commute and both ways have about the same distance.

(a.) 100% Freeway.
Get right onto the freeway and slowly make my FCD raise until it peaks just as I park at 60-64MPG.

(b.) Begin the commute on a rural highway with 8 manditory stops and another 7 possible stops, then roughly 1/2 way there jump onto the freeway.
Taking the rural highway the FCD raises to 60MPG at around 20 miles. It gradually increases from there until I end up parking with the same 60-64MPG.

Which way consumes less fuel or is it equal?
"a" is about 7-10 minutes faster.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Major Uranium Miner
Default Re: Whats better?

Raw mpg per segment is not as important as total fuel used. After all, that is the point of fuel economy. These issues are so complex that the only way to know is to try each option under as close to identical conditions as possible, (weather, a-c, windows etc.), for say a couple of tanks each and compare the real world results.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

I also would favor the route with least fuel consumption.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM

The results are pretty consistent: Basically I was wondering whether it saves more fuel to to max, or nearly max MPG 1/2 way through the trip and nurse that high number the rest of the way-
Or gradually increase it on the freeway across the entire trip to the end of the commute.

Actually I was wondering if I'm just wasting my time taking rural highways to quickly run up my MPG when I could take the freeway and get there a bit sooner.

MPG at the end of the trip on both accounts are about equal.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 05-18-2007 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Clairity (Sorry my communication skills are lacking today)
Old 05-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Major Uranium Miner

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
The results are pretty consistent:
MPG at the end of the trip on both accounts are about equal.
If the mpg is the same and the distance is the same then in tems of fuel efficiency both options are the same.

But other things to consider: the driving experience (stress), chance of interruption that affects mpg (traffic jams), etc.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

If the freeway commute is better or at least a close second, I'd lean that way.

Less wear, less stress, less emissions at cruising.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Thanks, all good points. I prefer the peacefulness of the rural highway but didn't consider emissions. Hmm Decisions decisions

Old 05-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

It sounds like both options are similar in gas used so you should use the option you prefer. If you like to save time use the expressway. If you like the road less traveled use the rural highway...

If you like variety then alternate.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Banned

On the emissions remark I made it's least when cruising at a moderate speed.

Concerning which commute is the greenest - I'm not for sure. If there is a strict correlation between fuel burned and CO2 produced - would be a coin flip. My guess the freeway is greener is...a guess.

Hope someone might be able to shed more light on this.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:23 PM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I can travel to work one of two ways on my 47 mile commute and both ways have about the same distance.

(a.) 100% Freeway.
Get right onto the freeway and slowly make my FCD raise until it peaks just as I park at 60-64MPG.

(b.) Begin the commute on a rural highway with 8 manditory stops and another 7 possible stops, then roughly 1/2 way there jump onto the freeway.
Taking the rural highway the FCD raises to 60MPG at around 20 miles. It gradually increases from there until I end up parking with the same 60-64MPG.

Which way consumes less fuel or is it equal?
"a" is about 7-10 minutes faster.
Fuel consumed (A or B) = 47 miles/64 mpg = 0.73 gal per trip

Route A just consumes the fuel at a quicker rate.

I have similar options for my 38 mile commute in Ohio. I tend to stick with the freeway since I:
- am lazy and dont like having to manage all sorts of stuff stopping/starting - also more variability here.
- get a few more chances to draft on the freeway.
- a little easier keeping track of my mpg at points/segments along the trip.

Youre the professor - you should tell us

Quick Reply: Whats better?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands