Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.
View Poll Results: When about to run out of gas . . .
Fill up when down to 1/2 tank
5.41%
Fill up when down to 1/4 tank
48.65%
Upon low gas alarm, speed up to find a gas station
0%
Upon low gas alarm, slow down and drive towards closest gas station
27.03%
Upon low gas alarm, smile about spare gallon can
13.51%
When ICE stops, use spare gallon and drive towards gas station
5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

When I'm about out of gas . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: When I'm about out of gas . . .

Originally Posted by WaltPA
. . .
Doesn't always waiting until the tank is dry and you are completely out of fuel, bad for the vehicle? Gosh, I did that just once, years ago, by accident and I still remember that draining the tank dry resulted in the fuel filter clogging, etc. I can't imagine any doing that over and over again, on purpose.
Cars equipped with a fuel bladder avoid most of this problem. There is no 'air space' above the fuel to support condensation or bring in via a vent, dust and and dirt. The bladder expands when filled and shrinks when emptied and the air is separate from the fuel.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When I'm about out of gas . . .

Originally Posted by sward
My real answer doesn't appear as an option, but would be something like "On low fuel alarm, smile, knowing that the car will go another 100+ miles before I really need to fill up".
That is my feeling as well. I typically reset the B trip when the low fuel light comes on. I then fill up when it is convenient, knowing I am driving on my 100 mile "reserve".

Old 10-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
That is my feeling as well. I typically reset the B trip when the low fuel light comes on. I then fill up when it is convenient, knowing I am driving on my 100 mile "reserve".
I do exactly the same thing.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

I usually try to fill up 150 miles after the gas light comes on. This gives me about one gallon to spare.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOL TCH
I usually try to fill up 150 miles after the gas light comes on. This gives me about one gallon to spare.
I am in greater Tampa too. Please share your secret(s) for the super(ior) MPG you're getting. Post in another or new thread if need be.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wdmark
I am in greater Tampa too. Please share your secret(s) for the super(ior) MPG you're getting. Post in another or new thread if need be.
I've tried to explain it a couple of times but the threads seem to get a little out of hand. I don't want to go there again. I'll PM you.
-Ed