Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.
View Poll Results: When about to run out of gas . . .
Fill up when down to 1/2 tank
5.41%
Fill up when down to 1/4 tank
48.65%
Upon low gas alarm, speed up to find a gas station
0%
Upon low gas alarm, slow down and drive towards closest gas station
27.03%
Upon low gas alarm, smile about spare gallon can
13.51%
When ICE stops, use spare gallon and drive towards gas station
5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

When I'm about out of gas . . .

Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: When I'm about out of gas . . .

Originally Posted by WaltPA View Post
. . .
Doesn't always waiting until the tank is dry and you are completely out of fuel, bad for the vehicle? Gosh, I did that just once, years ago, by accident and I still remember that draining the tank dry resulted in the fuel filter clogging, etc. I can't imagine any doing that over and over again, on purpose.
Cars equipped with a fuel bladder avoid most of this problem. There is no 'air space' above the fuel to support condensation or bring in via a vent, dust and and dirt. The bladder expands when filled and shrinks when emptied and the air is separate from the fuel.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When I'm about out of gas . . .

Originally Posted by sward View Post
My real answer doesn't appear as an option, but would be something like "On low fuel alarm, smile, knowing that the car will go another 100+ miles before I really need to fill up".
That is my feeling as well. I typically reset the B trip when the low fuel light comes on. I then fill up when it is convenient, knowing I am driving on my 100 mile "reserve".

Old 10-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash View Post
That is my feeling as well. I typically reset the B trip when the low fuel light comes on. I then fill up when it is convenient, knowing I am driving on my 100 mile "reserve".
I do exactly the same thing.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

I usually try to fill up 150 miles after the gas light comes on. This gives me about one gallon to spare.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOL TCH View Post
I usually try to fill up 150 miles after the gas light comes on. This gives me about one gallon to spare.
I am in greater Tampa too. Please share your secret(s) for the super(ior) MPG you're getting. Post in another or new thread if need be.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wdmark View Post
I am in greater Tampa too. Please share your secret(s) for the super(ior) MPG you're getting. Post in another or new thread if need be.
I've tried to explain it a couple of times but the threads seem to get a little out of hand. I don't want to go there again. I'll PM you.
-Ed