Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Why is a Barrel of Oil so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why is a Barrel of Oil so expensive?

don't forget each gallon of gas has federal and state taxes added onto it.

http://www.losangelesgasprices.com//tax_info.aspx <---state taxes

California -- 26.2 + 18.4 = 44.6
Los Angles AVG 2.737/gallon
http://www.losangelesgasprices.com/index.aspx

Okla (where I live) -- 17 + 18.4 = 35.4
OKC AVG 2.492/gallon
http://www.oklahomacitygasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=A

taxes more than likely are higher due to other fees not shown

BIOdiesel or SVO would rock IMO

Old 08-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

The EIA Primer on Gasoline Prices, has a good overview of gasoline prices. For more current information, check out the EIA Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update page. It has the make up of the prices and up to date charts. Overall, there is an extraordinary amount of hard data on the EIA's site for all types of energy.

According to their data, the July 05 make up of a $2.37 gallon of gasoline price was:

55% Crude oil price
21% Taxes
18% Refining price
8% Distribution and marketing

Here is some data from another site:

Costs to produce and sell a gallon of gasoline in the US data from "Some Factors in the Spring 2004 high cost of gasoline in the US"
http://www.gravmag.com/oil.html

"One barrel of crude oil makes about 19½ gallons of gasoline, 9
gallons of fuel oil, 4 gallons of jet fuel, and 11 gallons of other
products, including lubricants, kerosene, asphalt, and petrochemical
feedstocks to make plastics. The ultimate cost of a gallon of gas at
the service station depends mostly on the price of crude oil, and most
of the profit after expenses goes to the owner-producers of the oil,
whether they are governments or oil producing companies. The following
table shows an approximate breakdown of the costs that go into a
gallon of gas in the US. Almost everywhere in the world outside the
US, people pay MUCH more for gasoline, largely because of much larger
government taxes, which amount to around $3 to $4 per gallon in many
European countries. In the categories "Production cost" and "Producer
profit" the values show a range from Saudi Arabian production to USA
production. Naturally, all the other values may vary some as well;
these are general estimates."

Expense Amount
Production cost 15¢ to 60¢
Producer profit 53¢ to 8¢
Refining cost 13¢
Marketing cost 5¢
Transportation cost 15¢
Retailer cost 6¢
Refiner, marketer, transp. & retailer profit 10¢
US Taxes 19¢
Average state taxes 23¢
TOTAL $1.59
The make up of a barrel of oils price is harder to compute and much debated. I haven't seen much information on that lately.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

There was yet another article yesterday about high gas/oil prices, an AP piece by H. Josef Hebert, a Q and A about causes, what could be done, and also has a breakdown of where your dollar at the pump goes. This article online was longer than what ran in our local paper.

Fred

Old 08-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What I find somewhat strange (today) is that there is no difference in the price of crude from various places, all we have is a single price, no matter if it's domestic or if it comes from a country far away. Most other things vary in price depending on lots of factors, but country to country they generally vary quite a bit. Considering there's different labor costs, different quality of crude, different safety regulations and standards, shouldn't that all be varying the cost of a barrel of oil depending on where it's originating?

Old 08-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's called OPEC! If the price for crude is say 62.00 a barrel why would you charge say 40.00 a barrel if you really could get 62.00 a barrel.Kevin

Old 08-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texashchman
It's called OPEC! If the price for crude is say 62.00 a barrel why would you charge say 40.00 a barrel if you really could get 62.00 a barrel.Kevin
So in other words it's because demand is sooooooo high that it doesn't matter what price it is, it will sell anyhow. I guess that makes sense, there's no point competing price-wise if it's a guaranteed sale.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah Erick it's ashame but it's the same all over not just here. I don't see Shell. Elf,Exxon Mobil and the rest dropping prices because one of there wells produces at a cheaper price either.The quicker we can ween ourselves off oil the better!Kevin

Old 08-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

All OPEC oil purchases are denominated in US dollars because of a secret agreement made between the US and Saudi Arabia in the 1970's. The end result is that all oil consumers have to use dollars, which props its value and has earned it the nickname of 'petrodollar'. Instead of backing its currency with a gold exchange standard, the US was able to back it by oil it didn't even have to own. The US dollar would continue being the world's reserve currency.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:07 AM

My friends are complaining about the price of gas. I told them that there is no way to fight the price what they have to do is eliminate their need to buy it. Oil prices won't drop because if we don't buy it someone else will (countries such as china and other developing nations will pick up the slack I'm sure). The only solution is to restrict the effect it has on you.

The "petrodollar" is a good thing for us in the US. Even if the US does slow down or eliminate oil use they still basicly benefit from oil because someone somewhere will pick up our slack.

And since most of these countries are exempt from the Kyoto agreement there is no reason for them to work at efficent use of oil so they will consume it far more than we would anyway and thus buy more and pump up the dollar more.

So it seems wise for the US to eliminate is use of oil and leave more for other countries to consume.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
We've heard all our news complaining about this, but how many times have you heard them inform how much $$ a person could potentially save with driving style modifications?
I heard on the news yesterday that hybrid car sales are skyrocketing but dog-gone you don't need one to save cash.
Absolutely correct! How about having the tires inflated properly? It is essentially free, an one can save 5% or more.

Next in line is keeping your car in proper shape...oil-changes, tune ups, air filter changes....it is so simple, yet so many people do not do it.

Of course driving style. Some people jack-rabbit from stop light to stop light. The ones that amuse me the most are the ones that keep accelerating right to the point before they need to brake.

Quick Reply: Why is a Barrel of Oil so expensive?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands