Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Why I follow trucks at a safe distance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Engineering first
Wink Why I follow trucks at a safe distance

Recently, I drove from Huntsville AL to Lexington KY using an ICE rpm maximum of 2,400 rpm, the boundary where ICE efficiency starts to decline. What I found is my speed profile, especially on I-75 between Knoxville TN and Lexington KY all but exactly matched the speed profile of loaded tractor trailer trucks. They would climb the steep grades at 50 mph and I would be right behind them at 2,400 rpm at the same speed. On the down grades, they would pick up speed and I would be right with them at less than 2,400 rpm. On the flats, the loaded trucks and I would be holding the speed limit at a modest 1,800-2,200 rpm. Best of all, the mileage was great, 54 mpg by the MFD (haven't added the tank, yet.)

My point is it looks like optimum NHW11 highway driving appears to be a speed profile paced by a heavily loaded, tractor trailer truck. Moving vans in particular seem ideal. Best of all, the other highway traffic sees the truck and will pass without a second thought. You become all but 'invisible' to speed jerks who like to run-up to your bumper and shine their lights in the rear window. Just follow the trucks at a safe distance and the problem is solved.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 01-16-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Why I follow trucks at a safe distance

Following the moving van works well because it is real tall and the van body goes very close to the ground so the wind doesn't go below the trailer as it does on a normal trailer. For some reason I have also had good luck following irregularly loaded flat bed trucks, maybe the wind is deflected farther away then it is on a normal trailer.....Louis

Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

That is a great strategy! And...if running behind another runner in a race saves (personal) energy, driving behind a truck should do the same. One thing: wouldn't you have to follow VERY closely, to avoid turbulance?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

It's what southbound geese do, and what WWII bombers did with the V-formation.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast

VERY close is the best but not recommended for obvious reasons. You'd be surpised at how far back the benefit begins. Depending on your car, there shouldn't much if any turbulance. I like to follow 3 seconds behind unless the trucker doesn't like it (he'll let you know) then I just back off.....Louis

Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Why I follow trucks at a safe distance

Originally Posted by Kraken
That is a great strategy! And...if running behind another runner in a race saves (personal) energy, driving behind a truck should do the same. One thing: wouldn't you have to follow VERY closely, to avoid turbulance?
The problem with "VERY closely" is you don't have time to react to debre in road, it irritates the truck driver and it is likely to attract the attention of the highway patrol. But most of all, it isn't necessary.

Just follow the truck like an ordinary driver but using their bulk as your 'pacer car.' You can relax and enjoy the trip without having to worry about the rest of the traffic. Best of all, at least for my NHW11, it puts me in a 'sweet spot' for vehicle efficiency.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

yeah, I could see how truckers would detest this type of driving. I always get a bit nervous when I get tailgated.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
The problem with "VERY closely" is you don't have time to react to debre in road, it irritates the truck driver and it is likely to attract the attention of the highway patrol. But most of all, it isn't necessary.

Just follow the truck like an ordinary driver but using their bulk as your 'pacer car.' You can relax and enjoy the trip without having to worry about the rest of the traffic. Best of all, at least for my NHW11, it puts me in a 'sweet spot' for vehicle efficiency.

Bob Wilson
I like the method, just haven't found the right travel to use it much.

I've tried the "VERY closely" years ago and just don't need the stress, I need to see more than just the *** of a truck. When I did close draft I'd edge to the left to let the trucker know I was there every few miles. Most didn't mind I presume, but some definitely let me know to knock it off.

After over a year and 12K I still haven't gotten my Tacoma out on the interstate long enough see what she'll do on straight 75 but when I do i'll be experimenting with following trucks at a reasonable distance.

Blizzard after blizzard spoiled my holiday driving plans. Now this sub-zero weather is killing my current tank of gas.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

In my opinion, there really is no safe distance to follow. I've seen too many accidents dumb truck drivers, and even dumber commuters who panic & slam the brakes in front of them. I prefer to get my **** out in front. WAAAY out front. I feel much more better if I'm in front of those dummies. You know?

Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Have you guys ever had a truck tire explode when the truck was in front or beside you? This would wipe my little toy off the planet.

Quick Reply: Why I follow trucks at a safe distance

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands