Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Wife ruins mpg :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wife ruins mpg :(

the Insight is still in the running 5mt if they will make it. We looked at the 05 Civics and did not like them at all. Thats why we ended up with a 05 Accord.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:09 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Ha! My wife has killed my LIFETIME mileage since she took control of the HCH. Ohh well, we'll start carpooling soon again and can recover it little by little.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Last time she drove my HCH, she "only" drove it down to 60.1 from 60.9.
lol.

My wife came home the other day beaming, bursting with pride that the MPG meter is at 67.5 -- the best she has ever done !

I had to break it to her, that before she took the car, it was at 68.7, 300 miles into the tank.

One part of me is very appreciative that she even looks at the meter; my other side *so* much wants her not to drive the Prius at all.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Question Re: Wife ruins mpg :(

It seems, from what I've read here and in other threads in the past, that in most families, there is one spouse who is "into" the mileage game and able to do it, and the other is either uninterested or unable to get the hang of it. Anyone out there have a story of a couple who are BOTH mpg-fanatics or hypermilers? Maybe this would be a good topic for a poll...

(My husband has improved his attitude and seems to be trying, but still always brings the mpg down, no matter where he's driving. If we didn't live so far away, I'd have signed HIM up for the "FEH driving school" they're going to have in Michigan.)
C.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Talking Re: Wife ruins mpg :(

Don't sweat the spouse. They may not enjoy the same passion you have for FE. Let them drive the way they want and you'll have less friction between the both of you.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:44 PM

I've asked my wife to drive the car more smoothly and her mpgs improved.

She's also gotten sick of hearing me talk about my mpgs!

Old 09-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Don't sweat the spouse. They may not enjoy the same passion you have for FE. Let them drive the way they want and you'll have less friction between the both of you.
This kind of thing only goes so far. I read that men/women mars/venus book and it was great for a while. I was able to make my girlfriend really happy, but it eventually drove me nuts acting on feelings all the time and never solving any problems. You advice is good as long as you can let it go and not let it get to you.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Happy Owner

Originally Posted by gonavy
Shame on your husband...as a marine engineer he should know tons about efficiency speeds and engine loading...how much more DFM does he burn at 20knots versus 15? Or 12? Across the pond, that adds up to a few days' worth of steaming. Quiz him on full vs crossconnected or trailshaft ops and which is better for cruising. Same rules apply to his truck. He's just being stubborn.

I could chase go-fasts in a losing race all day long at 32kts on counternarc ops...for about 36 hours. Or I could cruise at 12kts and just track same for a week. 200Kgal down the pipe either way.
I'm sure if it was his wallet paying for the fuel on the ship he would change his ways, but the "Deckies" on the vessel call the shots for speed, not the "Engineers". But I loved your answer and will share it with him.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by lakedude
You advice is good as long as you can let it go and not let it get to you.
It wasn't meant as a cure all for relationship problems. I was just saying there's a possiblity if one spouse gets upset at the other spouse for a simple thing as (simple to the non-FE spouse, not the FE spouse) killing your lifetime mpg average...

Old 09-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Howdy

Well I drove the car today. And drove it hard. I took her to work did her bank and post office runs and took her to do other normal duties her job intails. Same driving thats done every single day thru the work week. I was blasting it to redline running thru 1, 2, d3, d, no hypermiling at all. A/C on 5 and 10 mph over the speed limit at all times and I got 31 mpg out of the Accord. Even raced a v6 Mustang,, and won...lmao. How she cant seem to get better than 25 to 28 mpg is not in my relm of understanding.

Quick Reply: Wife ruins mpg :(

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands