Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Wife ruins mpg :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 06:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wife ruins mpg :(

My wife has been driving our '05 since I got the '06 in June. She has driven the average down to what you see below. But, in her defense, she does all the local driving - doctors appointments for the kid, shopping, etc. She may "only" be getting 31 mpg but she used to get 17 t0 19 in the V6 Escape. She actually does try anyway. My driving is more consistent with my commute to and from work. Once we swap vehicles in a month or so (trying to keep the miles on each one close), I am sure the '06 numbers will plummet.

Regarding A/C use and what it can do to mileage - I had a boss once that always drove with his Taurus on defrost. No matter how many times I told him that defrost was running the a/c and hurting his mileage, he still did it. (He oftentimes drove with the car in D instead of OD but that is another matter). Anyway, while he was away once I had his car for a week and when he got back he was amazed that in the week I had it I went over 300 miles and hadn't put gas in it yet (we kept detailed mileage logs for billing purposes). He had never come close to 300 miles on a tank. Told him I ran the vent, used OD all the time AND drove faster than he did. Don't know if I converted him but I made a point anyway.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:28 AM

My wife was never apathetic towards better FE, just incompetent and spoiled. However, she also is very tolerant, and has put up with my vitching and nagging with aplomb. She is slowly improving.

Unless your wife is the same, I'd say you are pushing too hard, and no good will come of continuing. I would not be surprised at this point if it turned out she was wrecking tanks to spite you, or as part of a control/domination thingy. You are NOT going to win those contests. Women are experts in passive aggression.

Are the two of you frugal ? Perhaps the two of you can agree that gasoline costs $5/gallon, and the savings over current consumption goes into a pot that she will be motivated to contribute towards.

Time for a change of tactics, for sure. Good luck !

Last edited by EricGo; 10-19-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 AM

No kidding. Sounds like your own personal Si will save your marriage!

Old 10-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm not saying I don't take your side in the FE thing, Psy - that's kinda why we're all here - we agree with you and share your concerns. But not everyone does. And if it's just not something that's important to your wife, oh well. I mean how many hobbies does she have that you just don't care one way or the other about? Just don't let it stress you out man. Take it with a laugh and be proud you've already done a huge part in conservation just by buying the hybrid, let alone the work you put into pulling teeth from it using all those nifty tricks for mileage, and remember - she could be leadfooting in a Hummer.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by helterskelter683
...you've already done a huge part in conservation just by buying the hybrid...
It's not a hybrid, but at least it's a Honda.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Woops, you caught me. You're right.