Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Working in My Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default Working in My Car

I just started a new job and I am on the road about 80% or more. Most of my miles are on the Highway, so my question is does an Hybrid make the best sence right know. I know that there is a drop off in MPG on the highway and to me a hybrid really looks to be best for Metro driving not highway.

So is a Hybrid a good option?

Let me say I am by no means a consertive driver, I live in New England and as most know we are not known for going slow.

I need somthing big enough to carry samples, but not SUV big. I am really not sure what to do. I like the Prius and what it comes with in the Turning model.

Help, is there any one who is using a Hybrid for more than just going back and forth to work and is driving like I feel most of America drives (70-80 miles per hour). The costing or driving 60mph won't work for me!

Thanks

Frank

Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Working in My Car

I put about 125-150 miles per day on a Honda Civic Hybrid. Most of these miles are on the highway at 70-75 miles per hour. The car is averaging close to 45 miles per gallon. Trunk space works well for me and if not...there is always the back seat.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by FrankD
. . .
I need something big enough to carry samples, but not SUV big. I am really not sure what to do. I like the Prius and what it comes with in the Turning model.

Help, is there any one who is using a Hybrid for more than just going back and forth to work and is driving like I feel most of America drives (70-80 miles per hour). The coasting [rjw] or driving 60mph won't work for me!

So what MPG do you want to achieve? Use the 'green line' for current model Prius performance.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

Just want to say that all info is great and no matter the content or intent is all take for what it's worth.

I welcome advice and suggestions!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Engineering first

You might take a peek at what Consumer Reports achieved:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ficient%20cars

Also, you can do a head-to-head vehicle comparisons at:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Good luck!
Bob Wilson