Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

worst combination of lousy circumstances (rambling semi-rant)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:18 AM
my other car is a FJORD
Default worst combination of lousy circumstances (rambling semi-rant)

yesterday we took the trip over the river and through the woods to have a meal with my mom, who lives in a minneapolis suburb. large part of the drive is on I-94, going into the area from the north. the one good thing about it, is it gives me something to be thankful for - that i don't have to deal with that mess on a daily basis. it was about 10:30 am and the traffic in the opposite direction coming out of the cities looked like a friday night, bumper to bumper about 45 mph. is that supposed to be fun?

and driving 94 makes it impossible to try and get decent mileage, since traffic is SO fast in the direction i was going, and if you don't at least make an effort to keep up, they run you over.

so i am dealing with all this:
snow tires (haven't seen enough snow to warrant them yet)
very heavy wind, which turned into a direct head wind on the return trip
cold temps, starting out at 10 degrees, maybe warming to 15 on the way home
extra person in the car. hubby, who sleeps and farts most of the trip (why do you guys consider this acceptable behavior?? LOL). payback is that he is 6-4 and was really folded in half in that passenger seat.
high speed traffic
lots of hills

when i finally parked it, the display read 49.5 mpg. that is the lowest i have ever gotten from day 1. ok, i know it's not that bad, but i am selfish, and i am determined to keep it at least at 50 all winter. no more trips to the city.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Banned
Default Re: worst combination of lousy circumstances (rambling semi-rant)

Laurie,

I'll attempt to explain the "Men who need Beano" thing. Men eat more anyway, but America as a whole eats too much. Drinking a lot of carbonated drinks also contributes to the passing gas.... I guess there is an element of denial so "it is not a problem".

My comical solution to your problems is your husband sit on a cushion with a tube connected to the engine to harness this "wasted bio-gas".

Old 11-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Laurie:

___I feel your pain as I just about to breached the lowest FE of the Accord’s life on my last tank and travel I94/294 through the Chicago nightmare almost daily. I just don’t get these ****ed winds this year. I have been the recipient of a very light < 5 mph headwind/> 10 mph tail winds on the way home numerous times throughout my years but this year, the stronger then normal (> 15 mph) westerlies are just killing me on my generally N – S – N commute over the last 3 tanks

___About the only thing I can add is that when you do get the chance to ride these absolutely ridiculous 40 + mph tailwinds, HS-P&G like you never have before because the way back home into them is going to absolutely cream even the best tank averages in no time flat … Just a fellow frustrated hypermiler

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-25-2005, 11:12 AM
my other car is a FJORD

wayne, you are right. what IS it with the wind? we used to have snow up the ****, but in the last few weeks i can't count the number of days with up to 40 mph wind. drives me crazy, especially when accompanied by 10 degree temps. can you spell WIND CHILL????

as for the gas, flyer, don't think i haven't suggested it. his excuse is that if he doesn't do it, he will explode. my answer is that i will take that chance.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:04 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default high fiber=high gas=Beano

High fiber food cause high gas.The Beano really works-You can get 100 pills at Sams for about $10.Broccoli,raisin bran,bran flakes,any bean,-just about anything that is supposed to be good for you(vegetables) will cause it.
If you are frugal-I am-just bite-break-off about 1.2 to 1/3 of the pill.He isn't lactose intolerant,right?Luck.Charlie

Old 11-25-2005, 04:22 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Talking Re: high fiber=high gas=Beano

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
isn't lactose intolerant,right?Luck.Charlie
nah, he's just a pig

Old 11-25-2005, 04:56 PM
G.H. Contributor
Talking Re: worst combination of lousy circumstances (rambling semi-rant)

Originally Posted by laurie
yesterday we took the trip over the river and through the woods to have a meal with my mom, who lives in a minneapolis suburb. large part of the drive is on I-94, going into the area from the north. the one good thing about it, is it gives me something to be thankful for - that i don't have to deal with that mess on a daily basis. it was about 10:30 am and the traffic in the opposite direction coming out of the cities looked like a friday night, bumper to bumper about 45 mph. is that supposed to be fun?

and driving 94 makes it impossible to try and get decent mileage, since traffic is SO fast in the direction i was going, and if you don't at least make an effort to keep up, they run you over.

so i am dealing with all this:
snow tires (haven't seen enough snow to warrant them yet)
very heavy wind, which turned into a direct head wind on the return trip
cold temps, starting out at 10 degrees, maybe warming to 15 on the way home
extra person in the car. hubby, who sleeps and farts most of the trip (why do you guys consider this acceptable behavior?? LOL). payback is that he is 6-4 and was really folded in half in that passenger seat.
high speed traffic
lots of hills

when i finally parked it, the display read 49.5 mpg. that is the lowest i have ever gotten from day 1. ok, i know it's not that bad, but i am selfish, and i am determined to keep it at least at 50 all winter. no more trips to the city.

Hey laurie; Are you sure that your Husband and me are not (Kin/Related) ? I was reading your post here and it sounded like me and him had some of the same "Traits"

Rough day on the road, maybe tomorrow will be just right.

Kin-Folk

Terry

Old 11-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by laurie
I'm glad you were in a good mood about this.

I think your mileage considering the conditions was great. So, don't feel bad.

As for the farting; men fart when they need to because it is just gas and the smell goes away after a while. It isn't reasonable to hold it in and be uncomfortable just so you can wait until you can get to a rest room. In other words, my comfort, as a male of the species, is more important than keeping your olfactory senses from being offended.

Have fun.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Brains of the Operation

As a male and a physician-in-training, I find it necessary to point out that the fairer sex produces just as much intestinal gas per volume of food taken in that males do. Women who claim that they never pass gas don't realize that they probably pass most of it in their sleep, hopefully exacting some sort of revenge on their smug partners. Who are probably too deeply asleep to witness the full effects, actually.

I think Chuck's idea is a gold mine. That stuff has got to be combustible - just feed it into the fuel lines.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
....My comical solution to your problems is your husband sit on a cushion with a tube connected to the engine to harness this "wasted bio-gas".
Check out this flash video - powerful.

Quick Reply: worst combination of lousy circumstances (rambling semi-rant)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands