Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

wow! 65MPG in the snow???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Talking wow! 65MPG in the snow???

i filled up after work before i left for home. it was snowing pretty consistently, with some glazing on the roads. i headed out on the 4 lane for my 40 mile drive. the mileage just went up and kept up all the way home. i drove about 45, which wasn't out of line considering conditions. i think i figured out that the same light touch that i use when i am afraid i am going to slide off the road is the same way i hypermile.....too bad the snow's involved. it hit a high of 65.1, and was at 63.5 when it turned in the driveway..........

the driveway, by the way, which hubby missed and planted HIS civic in the ditch.... he had to pull it out with his chevy truck LOLOL

Old 12-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned
Default Re: wow! 65MPG in the snow???

I'd like to say you had dry snow like in the Rocky Mountains, but I don't think powder snow is possible in the land of 10,000 lakes. Skating or skiing in powder snow is an experience - it feels much lighter than whipped cream.

P.S. I'm not sure I'd gotten much better than 65mpg on my Insight in your conditions - you did good!

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 12-14-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:48 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I'd like to say you had dry snow like in the Rocky Mountains, but I don't think powder snow is possible in the land of 10,000 lakes. Skating or skiing in powder snow is an experience - it feels much lighter than whipped cream.

P.S. I'm not sure I'd gotten much better than 65mpg on my Insight in your conditions - you did good!

nope, this was definitely wet snow....and it's still coming down.

thanks, chuck, it was fun....if you don't count my huge dislike of driving in the stuff.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

thats great! the 40 mph speed must have helped. but i'm curious also to your terrain: what would be your mileage the other way around?

Old 12-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Laurie:

___You know, if you didn’t live in MN. and didn’t have that 10 mile farm road to run down on a daily basis, you would be pushing hard on RJ and HCH03! Spectacular segment in the mess we are having at this time. Chicago was spared the latest but your beloved MN and WI. got hammered! Nice job on getting home, not ending up in the ditch like the hubby, and nailing down a segment most would die for in the temps most here in the northern states are experiencing right now.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-14-2005, 07:25 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
thats great! the 40 mph speed must have helped. but i'm curious also to your terrain: what would be your mileage the other way around?
actually it's pretty flat. there are some rolling hills the last 8 miles or so but they even themselves out. i actually cut off early and went through town instead of taking the last miles that i knew would be less maintained. so doing it in reverse is about the same.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:32 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi Laurie:

___You know, if you didn’t live in MN. and didn’t have that 10 mile farm road to run down on a daily basis, you would be pushing hard on RJ and HCH03! Spectacular segment in the mess we are having at this time. Chicago was spared the latest but your beloved MN and WI. got hammered! Nice job on getting home, not ending up in the ditch like the hubby, and nailing down a segment most would die for in the temps most here in the northern states are experiencing right now.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
is that the HCH03 with 52.8? hey, i'm close....

i really only have two miles of dirt road, but 8 miles of 4 lane that they don't plow too well until later in the day. then i am on 4 lane almost to the door where i work. however, riding this road is not like a 4 lane in the big city. it's mostly rural, and stays at 65 all the way to work. and some nights, by the time i am at my turnoff, there are no other cars on the road. it's very rural. i notice the same cars about the same time everyday. that is both a curse and a blessing...if you go off the road, it could be a while before someone comes by.

thanks, wayne

Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 PM
my other car is a FJORD

did i mention i am using snow tires?

Old 12-15-2005, 06:32 AM
my other car is a FJORD

ok, here's a morning update, essentially running the same course backwards in coming to work......

it's still snowing. yuk.

i lost some major points on our dirt road that goes out to the highway, simply because even after 2 days, it still hasn't been plowed. 6 inches of snow. i tried my best to keep it in the tracks left by whatever trucks had been down it earlier. i could feel the car kind of floating on the snow between the tracks.

the highway was still pretty messy, what's rather scary at times is not being able to see the lines that at least give you a clue that you are in a lane at all. the early part of the drive with the hills has some pretty major downhills should you slip off the road.

kept it slow the rest of the way, some places were worse than others. i only saw two cards in the ditch the whole way there, which is surprising.

and as i pulled into the lot at work, the FCD read......62 MPG!!! woo woo

Old 12-15-2005, 06:50 AM
Brains of the Operation

You're my hero. If I ever see something like 62 mpg, it's usually under ideal conditions like interstate driving, and even then it's rare enough to engender a shout of joy from me.

I'm just glad I don't have snow to deal with. We're having a little "wintry mix" in Columbia right now, and you would think the world is coming to an end.

Quick Reply: wow! 65MPG in the snow???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands