Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

2 new 2007 HCH II's from Maryland! :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2 new 2007 HCH II's from Maryland! :)

Hello All,

I will apologize in advance for this being long...

Well count 2 more HCH II owners to the list! My better half and I just traded our cars in and are loving every minute of each drive. Our story is we are a family of 5 (3 wonderful little children), we camp, bicycle, kayak and motorcycle... so we kept our Yukon Denali for the times we must really drive it (our camper is 3000lbs. unloaded) and otherwise drive the Civic's. I'm a car person, love them and have had 35 in my short 33 years along with 40 motorcycles. Obviously my better half is the one with common sense and has only had a few herself. In an effort to help the environment, our driving styles and bank accounts we decided to consider looking at new cars (again), this time Hybrids. It has been 12 months since I purchased my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, before that I had an 2006 350z (for 4 months), my better half still had her 350z (yeah your getting the his and hers thing already right)... and were looking for a change that would allow us to let the Yukon sit more and save money daily in the process. Now she drives a lot more than me, about 17k a year, I'm more like 7k and that doesn't amount to much spread out along 3 cars and 2 motorcycles. So we first let the Harley go and decided to keep the CBR, yeah Honda! In 2005 I got rid of my CBR929 for a CBR600F4i for comfort, gas, etc. besides if I can keep it under 7k rpm I get 65mpg on it! I began researching the HCHII for months, reading threads, reading reviews, etc. then during a visit to my fathers, who is also a car guy and just bought a new 2008 Corvette...my brother pulls up in his new 2007 HCH II and let me just say we were shocked. He took us for a ride and after our return we asked if we could take it out in the neighborhood, one lap around and we were both hooked. I traded my Jeep the next week and my better half traded her 350 the following week. I'm into researching everything, so I continue to comb the threads for ways to increase the MPG's baby, lol. Each day we return home from work we compare MPG's, driving style, etc. At this point I'm getting 51.4 to 52.2mpg and she gets 45.2 to 48.7 (my brother's only getting 39). She wants to ride with me in mine to get some more tips as this has now become something fun to look forward to during the drive and each evening. I'm on my second tank now and from the last fill I have driven 331 miles and have used a little more than 1/2 a tank. I'm keeping a running log to track it and all but am not shooting for 55mpg, she's shooting for 50...wish us luck and I look forward to posting more in the future.

Thanks,
James

Old 09-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: 2 new 2007 HCH II's from Maryland! :)

Welcome, slolane! Quite a nice little summary there. If you haven't already, dig around here. Lots to learn, although it sounds like you two are already doing quite well with your 2 new hybrids. Now let's see if you decide to keep these longer than a year!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Congratulations slolane;

I agree, that is quite a story.

In fact... it reminds me of my own too. Its funny... I have the Alabaster silver and my wife the Magnetic Pearl.

Where did I see that as well.... hummmm....

Cheers & Welcome;

MSantos

Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Welcome to the club!

These vehicles have a crack like addiction. No idea why but I want another one! HCH II that is!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the warm welcomes! Look forward to many more posts

Old 09-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Where at in Maryland? I'm in Annapolis with my HCH2 (magnetic pearl).

Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do I smell an FE competition arising between the two of you?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 AM
HypoFueler

James (and Wife) - congrats on the pair of HCH2s! They should get you some decent fuel economy.

LOL - at 7k miles per year, your first oil change wont be until after NEXT Christmas and you will be able to drive it for over 20 years!

Old 12-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by slolane
Hello All,

I will apologize in advance for this being long...

Well count 2 more HCH II owners to the list! My better half and I just traded our cars in and are loving every minute of each drive. . . .
Indeed, welcome to the CLUB!

You've found the right hybrid for your driving styles and that is how it should be. Folks here have a lot of accumulated knowledge and tricks to share. My only recommendation is to use the mileage database to record progress. You'll probably discover the joys of trickin' out your drive and having a mileage record makes it easy to track progress.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson