Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Braking noise on 06 Civic hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Love my hybrid!
Default Braking noise on 06 Civic hybrid

I mainly wanted to join a hybrid forum to see if anyone else has been having the same problem as I have.

About two weeks after we got our hybrid someone almost hit us. We had to swerve & slam the brakes on. Now we knew that we weren't supposed to be hitting the brakes that hard with the car being so new but we had no choice.

Well every since then there is a reoccurring "flatulence" noise (for lack of a better description) that happens when we brake. It's not every time nor is there a pattern to when it happens. It's just a sudden, quick noise.

We took it to the dealer although we left out the slamming on the brakes part of the story. Since that incident may have been what is causing the noise there may not be any other hybrid owners having the same problem. I just thought I might put the question out there with hopes that someone has had the same problem.

Thank you in advance!
Natalie

Old 09-25-2006, 02:29 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Braking noise on 06 Civic hybrid

Sounds like the ABS. I have an 05 and if I'm in the process of braking and hit a bumpy patch of road, the ABS flutters for a couple of seconds until I let up off the pedal and reapply the brake. Only happens when concurrently hitting the brake and going over a bumpy road. Never happens on smooth roads. I beleive this is normal. But check with the dealer to be sure.

My tires are at 42psi so if I hit a bump a wheel may leave the roadway ??? and make the ABS think that the wheel is locked up during braking thus engaging the ABS.???

Last edited by ralph_dog; 09-25-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Energy Independence

This HAS been discussed some over in the HCH2 section. Seach for "brake fart" or something similarly disgusting. One person had an expensive part replaced under warranty. I think others are waiting to see if it's really an issue worth dealing with. I experience this too. It seems to be the first time each drive where you hits the brakes relatively fast, rather thna my normal very easy pedal-hit for braking. I have noticed no ill-effects from the brakes, though.

Welcome to the group, Natalie!
There's lots to read and learn about our new hybrids. Many of the posts for HCH1 also apply to our HCH2 cars, so I try to keep up with both sections. It's a fun, friendly group.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:19 AM
Love my hybrid!

Thank you both Steve & Ralph. The dealer suggested that I notate every time the noise happens although unless I buy a tape recorder that won't be possible while driving. He thinks maybe there is a pattern or something specific I am doing to make the noise.
I will definitely check under "brake fart" to see what others say. Now I have another (dumb) question. What does the (HCH) I & II stand for?
And lastly, has anyone done their taxes that has a HCH? I am very curious about the tax break. Do you get the $2100 cash back or is it merely a credit on your taxes?

Thank you!
Natalie