Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

A Complete Reversal_West Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:59 AM
WVGasGuy
Default A Complete Reversal_West Virginia

I feel like I'm in an AA meeting.

Hi, my name is Joe and I've wasted a lot of gas. I've driven gas hog SUV's and sports cars with no thoughts about this countries energy dependance on foreign oil (and influence / ownership). I'm sorry.

Ok, that's over.

I traded in (believe it or not) an Infiniti FX45, four wheel drive, 315 horsepower, 16.3mpg dream car! Yes it was the best car I've ever owned but I decided I wanted an economy car. I didn't really want to have to give up much and most of the real FE cars are small. I don't need a commuter, just a nice sized family car that gets decent milage. I figured I'd settle for something in the 24mpg range UNTILL I saw the info on the Toyota Camry Hybrid. I didn't really give it much more consideration until I found other postings on the tax credits. Then I dug deeper and found that West Virginia also had credits.

This was simply icing on the cake. I had to have a piece!!!!

I recieved my 07 Titanium Camry Hybrid on 5/5/06, loaded with moonroof, Nav, Leather, heated mirrors (all options) at an MSRP of 30,589. I purchased it for $30,000.

In early discussions with the dealer I had told them I had to have it before June 5th or I would reconsider. That's when the WV credits expire for new purchases. I was surprised and delighted when it came in early because I really didn't want to think that long about getting rid of the FX. It's gone, I don't have to think anymore.

I'm really enjoying the TCH. Learning to master the art of driving hybrid is a challenge. I've learned through various calculations that the monetary differences in 36 and 38 mpg are not all that much but the challenge to see how high I can go is motivating.

I'm currently averaging over 37mpg, but that is with a few trips with my wife driving 80mph. I've sence showed her the art of lifting her foot from the pedal when the car is willing to "coast". My current tank is showing 41mpg.

I've got about 2000 miles on the car already and will post specific numbers when the camry is listed later.

I come to this board as it's probably more user friendly. That is, the users are friendly. The Edmunds forums can get downright nasty and name calling just causes me stress. That's part of the reason for my change to the TCH. I want to slow down in all phases of my life. Enjoy the ride I believe is the Nissan phrase from a few years back. My pastor say's "The Joy Is In The Journey" and I'm truly enjoying my time thus far in this ride.

I was critized for being irrational and for not understanding economics on other forums. I replied that I was not thinking rational before. THIS is rational thinking!

Let's see, I buy this for $30,000 and with the Fed Credit of $2600 and the State Credit of $3750, I'll have $23,650 in a fully loaded TCH (not counting the time value of money-financing). Add to that I've knocked $230/mo from my car payment and am saving $170/mo on gasoline; well I decided to come to a forum where someone might actually understand economics.

Anyway, glad to be here, will post more.....

Old 05-26-2006, 10:12 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: A Complete Reversal_West Virginia

Don't think of it as an AA meeting. Think of it like... a Buddhist attaining enlightenment. Much more positive, no?

Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: A Complete Reversal_West Virginia

I do see things differently!

Old 05-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: A Complete Reversal_West Virginia

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
. . .
I come to this board as it's probably more user friendly. That is, the users are friendly. The Edmunds forums can get downright nasty and name calling just causes me stress. That's part of the reason for my change to the TCH. I want to slow down in all phases of my life. Enjoy the ride I believe is the Nissan phrase from a few years back. My pastor say's "The Joy Is In The Journey" and I'm truly enjoying my time thus far in this ride. . . .
Welcome to one of the better forums around. Do put your car in the hybrid database. It is one of the best ways to learn what works and doesn't work.

As for friendly, we have a well balanced and sensible set of moderators who near as I can tell, kill SPAM in less than an hour and are rightfully intolerant of rude jerks. We also have enough knowledge so when the occasional hybrid skeptic comes around, they get so many accurate facts and data that they soon wander off (to Edmunds?)

Looking forward to your contributions.

Bob Wilson