Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Considering my first hybrid

Old 05-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Considering my first hybrid

Just doing the usual, hey there, how you doing thing, since it's mandatory in forums that have dedicated forums for such things.

In any case, I'm currently driving a 2000 Ford Focus that actually hasn't had many issues that are the car's fault (ie. they were accident related - not all my fault, I swear!!), so knock on wood. It still drives fine, but it is getting long in the tooth and having intermitent issues starting up.

I also have an approximately 160mile roundtrip commute each day during the week, so I just passed 200k this week.

In any case, thinking of either a Prius or Civic, with leaning toward the Civic given most people seem to say it's better for long commutes like I have.

So far, the forum has been a great source of info, can't wait to get more involved in the discussion. Thanks guys!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Considering my first hybrid

If you do not need a family car, the manual Insight would be the best bang for your buck given your extensive commute. You could probably find a nice used one and it would be well worth it, as many people average 70-80 mpg on highway commutes. The Toyotas do better in city/traffic driving, the Hondas do better on highways, imo.

also check out www.insightcentral.net for an all Insight discussion board.

I am obviously biased. BUT a friend of mine with two kids is looking into an Insight just for his commute as their other car is a nice family car.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Considering my first hybrid

Welcome to GH. Feel free to look around, ask questions, and make (eventually) an informed purchase that you can enjoy having.