Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

First tank 52.0 mpg, no special techniques!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Happy Prius 2007 Owner.
Talking First tank 52.0 mpg, no special techniques!

Hi Y'all,
Prius 2007 Package #5, Palm Beach County in case someone wants to share tips, make a short weekend trip somewhere or something. Chances are my bicycle riding times are an influence since I naturally use inercy when driving . . . nonetheless not bad for a brand new, 0 miles new car. Kudos Toyota!

Just read about the "Pulse and Glide" technique, will definitely use from now on as much as I can without actually "pushing it" into "rare" driving. I guess I was already well in my way to discover it naturally since I had noticed the "G Spot" (ahem . . . remember . . . "G" stands for "Glide") and was wondering if it would a better way to coast instead of regenerative braking (hey . . . I'd like to keep calling it like that!) conditions permitting.

I had already switched the "N" a couple of times just get the feel between regenerative and simple coast. I thought the actual brakes produced energy as well, but it doesn't seem to be the case if you are in "N". By all means, tell me if I am wrong! Do the Regenerative Braking only works while in "D"? To what extent if so?
Comsumption computer reads 52.0 MPGs, there are 300 and peak (about 1/4 of a peak) miles already which doesn't make sense, but then again the car is breaking in. I always keep track of miles by writing the mileage on the receipt to monitor engine performance, should the pump wouldn't give me a receipt, I write the data on the previous one. This time I will keep scans as well since thermal paper fades with time. Will post results in time.

Anyway, just happy to join a happy bunch. I just hope everyone finds, uses, and enjoys the "G-Spot" as much as they can. I bet doing so takes time, practice, patience, concentration and the skill to be able to develope new habilities (coincidence?). Without pretending to break any records, I am sure it will help on the long run.

Yours, another happy Prius owner.

Last edited by fluteman; 12-19-2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: blah blah
Old 12-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: First tank 52.0 mpg, no special techniques!

Welcome to the club!
Originally Posted by fluteman
. . .
I had already switched the "N" a couple of times just get the feel between regenerative and simple coast. I thought the actual brakes produced energy as well, but it doesn't seem to be the case if you are in "N". By all means, tell me if I am wrong! Do the Regenerative Braking only works while in "D"? To what extent if so?
. . .
Think of "N" as disabling all motor-generator (MG) electronics. There are two MGs:
MG1 is part of the transaxle coupled with the engine to make the eCVT work. It can also generate power when the car is stopped.

MG2 is the motor that provides additional traction power and regenerative braking.
We've got a FAQ in the Prius forum that hopefully will give you some tips. Also, the mileage database is easy to use. Congratulations on your first tank!

Bob Wilson

Old 12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Happy Prius 2007 Owner.
Smile Re: First tank 52.0 mpg, no special techniques!

Thanks Bob, so far I am both impressed and happy with this new car. Didn't expect THIS much. THis second tank goes with more techniques involved and so far looks very promising . . . we'll see. You'll soon have another hypermiller in the club. Did I mentioned that this first one was with less than two mile trips on a daily (6 days work week) basis and a bit of highway?

Last edited by fluteman; 12-19-2006 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 AM
Banned

hello i got 47.1 upon my calculations. great job though! i love this fuel mileage

Old 01-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm only hitting 42.5 MPG on my first tank. I need more data points!

Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Banned

i need to find a gas station with helium because thats what the kids at walmart said to put in my tires to get better fuel mileage.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Sipper
i need to find a gas station with helium because thats what the kids at walmart said to put in my tires to get better fuel mileage.
I believe you mean nitrogen, which Costco has. Nitrogen is relatively inert and has different temperature-density curve that I understand means it tends not to expand or contract as much as the 20% O(2), 80% N(2) mix of ordinary air. However, it remains a subject of some speculation and I've not gone that way.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I believe you mean nitrogen, which Costco has. Nitrogen is relatively inert and has different temperature-density curve that I understand means it tends not to expand or contract as much as the 20% O(2), 80% N(2) mix of ordinary air. However, it remains a subject of some speculation and I've not gone that way.

Bob Wilson
As I understand it, Nitrogen only aids in slowing down escaping air from the tires. The molecules of Nitrogen are larger than those of standard compressed air, and are less likely to escape through the pores of the rubber tires.

As far as using helium in tires to inflate, I think that is goofy science. The Helium has smaller molecules than standard air, therefore they would be able to escape the pores of the tire easier.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

Nitrogen molecule is larger than O2 and so is CO2.

when compared to N2, CO2 is cheaper, just as effective, easier to use, can be carried in your vehicle, and has a long and successful track record for use in fillling tires.

However, I think using a bad greenhouse gas like CO2 to fill your tires is not earth friendly.

So the winner is N2.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

hmm I might have to try nitrogen to see if it helps.

Quick Reply: First tank 52.0 mpg, no special techniques!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands