Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:33 AM
'lectronimo
Default Hello

Just joined up, to add my 2 cents to the real world hybrid ownership experience.

I bought an 05 HCH in Feb, and drove it about 5k miles before starting to keep accurate records. From Feb 05 until Sep 05 my drive was mostly short trip city approx 2 mi round trip, driven 2 twice per day. I did an occasional road trip of 120 miles or so. The short trip driving netted low-to-mid 30s mpg, the road trips netted low-to-mid 40s. I changed jobs in Sep and now commute 50mi round trip per day with occasional in town [lots of stop and go] trips.

I live on in Northern Colorado so all my driving is at altitude approx. 5000 ft ASL. It's my belief that driving at altitude hurt fuel economy but I have no scientific evidence to back that up.

Overall I'm doin' OK WRT to mpg, my car has the HEV LB engine, 5HNXV01.33A6, and CVT tranny. See http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm and look up the 05 Honda Civics. fueleconomy.gov reports the HEV LB at about 40 mpg. The non-LB version averages about 45mpg.

I bought the HCH because it was in stock the day I wanted to by it. :-) Besides I've always liked Honda cars, I've owned several over the years. I prefer the understated design of the HCH vs the Prius.

Would like to hear from others who have the LB engine and drive at altitude, and compare notes about mpg.

R.