Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Hello and First Fill-Up Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Hello and First Fill-Up Report

Hi fellow FEH owners! I purchased a 2006 FEH with 60,000-miles on the odometer last Tuesday. My wife just filled up for the first time, and the actual MPG were 27.5 even though the computer indicated 29.5. I was a little disappointed that the actual MPG were 2-MPG less than the computer indicated, but I was prepared for it, since the computer in my 1997 Crown Victoria usual indicated 2-MPG higher than actual. I have a co-worker who has a MMH, and he said his computer is accurate. When I filled up last week, it indicated 388-miles until empty, and it said 384-miles this time. I was hoping to see it indicate over 400-miles until empty after this fill-up. When I was looking to purchase a FEH or MMH, I was counting on an average of 27-MPG, which is a 10-MPG increase over my 2003 Chrysler T&C's average MPG, so I am right on, but I was hoping for higher during the summer months.

The contributors on this website have been very helpful. I had my wife read information on this website and others about driving the FEH for maximum fuel economy. She has been slowly accelerating, anticipating lights changing, and other things that she didn't use to do, but she is not going to coast in N, put the gear selector in L, etc. She wants to drive it as "normal" as possible.

Since she leaves for work as soon as I get home, I have not had time to check the tire pressure, but that is on my agenda to do during yet again another busy weekend. I am hoping they need some air, and that will increase the MPG.

Take care, and drive safely!

Last edited by Escape_from_Hanover; 07-01-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hello and First Fill-Up Report

Welcome to the site!!! There is a huge learning curve about these cars. Even if you and your wife drive normally, I would guess that both of you will start to pay a lot closer attention to the mpgs. I really caught the hybrid bug, but my wife has a much more moderate case.

Just as important as pumping up your tires is to get in the habit of resetting your trip computer every time you get behind the wheel. If you keep it as your entire tank average, you won't be able to see the sublties of each trip and the places where you might be able to improve. You might even consider getting a scan gauge so you can see your stats right in your line of sight.

You might also consider chaning the oil and air filter if you bought from a private party. Who knows the last time it had any maintenance done to it. I would do some research before putting full synthetic oil in at that mileage unless you know that it has had synthetic in the past. It *used* to be considered a bad idea to run synthetic in a higher mileage engine, although my dad has had great luck with Mobil 1 in his new (60k mile) Camry. Do a little research on this subject and see if this is worth doing or not.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, kristian! I know it has been and will be a big learning curve for my wife. With having a 125-mile commute, 5-days a week, I have employed many of the "hypermiling" techniques long before "hypermiling" was a term. I have always averaged the EPA Mileage Estimate for highway in all of my cars. She thinks I am obsessed, because I am constantly looking at the instant and overall fuel economy gauges during the little time I drive. She pays attention now. We are like you and your wife -- I caught the hybrid bug, and my wife has a more mild case.

My wife called me this evening to tell me the low fuel indicator came on, and she still had quite a bit of driving to do, so I told her to call me once she got to the gas station. She called after filling up. I got the miles drives, gallons used, and computer's MPG from her, and I told her how to reset the trip odometer on the console and the average MPG on the navigation screen. Since it is primarily my wife's vehicle, I know I won't be getting a scan gauge for it. She will think I am to "over-the-top" then.

I bought it from a dealer who did all of the service. It was required that the owner have only them service it in order to not void some dealer-only warranties (like engine for life guarantee). They seemed to have replaced several things to get it ready for resale (i.e., new tires were put on). I know there is high mileage full synthetic oil on the market, so I might use that. I am sure the dealer used conventional oil when they did the oil changes, but I will ask. I will check the air filter, but I think it was recently replaced.

Take care!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Welcome to GH, and to the FEH club!

Sounds like you and your wife are on your way to an excellent start for a happy ownership!

The MTE (Miles to Empty) is based on recent MPG, so the better your MPGs, the bigger your MTE's. Don't put too much pressure on yourselves to get that perfect tank right away, learn how to maximize the hybrid technology and do what you feel comfortable doing.

Just out of curiosity, are you aware besides the maitenance of any of the history of the vehicle, like why the previous owner no longer has it?

Remember to enjoy the vehicle as well, and don't spend too much time staring at those gauges!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:07 AM

Congrats! My wife & I started making a 'game' of the MPG's at first, she tireded after a few months, but she has retained most of the techniques I saw her slip into L the other day comming to a light, I was on a cloud then I was getting mid 27's for the last several months, partily due to winter weather; but I finally found out many of our gas stations switched over to E10 and not labeling their pumps as to selling such. After switching to a 100% (suposedly) station I instantly increased to 30 & 32 Mpg's on my next tanks, bak at 31 on my 3rd, but heavy AC usage, some max (95+ & very humid, sorry comfort beats 1mpg or so! )
I see in your 2nd post the dealer installed new tires, are they LRR's like original, or just tires? That could be, you can search areound in here, a 2-3mpg hit.
I too dumped a minivan for the FEH and not regetting it either!17 to 32 is like a 47% improvement!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Pravus Prime,

I spoke with the previous owner. He listed the FEH on craigslist, but it was being sold through the dealer from which he purchased it. It was his ex-wife’s vehicle, and he was just trying to sell it for what he owed. He e-mailed me to say he got himself at Chevy Tahoe Hybrid and was loving it.

08hybridok,

I am not sure if the gas that I put in it was 100%/E10/etc., nor do I know what my wife put in it yesterday. All I know is it was Shell the first fill-up (free $10 voucher from the dealer) and Exxon for the second fill-up.

The tires on it are Continental ContiTrac, but they are not the EcoPlus version that I understand were OEM. They are definitely the noisiest tire I have owned. If they weren’t new, I would get different tires installed as soon as possible. I will live with them until I can’t anymore.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
08hybridok,

I am not sure if the gas that I put in it was 100%/E10/etc., nor do I know what my wife put in it yesterday. All I know is it was Shell the first fill-up (free $10 voucher from the dealer) and Exxon for the second fill-up.

The tires on it are Continental ContiTrac, but they are not the EcoPlus version that I understand were OEM. They are definitely the noisiest tire I have owned. If they weren’t new, I would get different tires installed as soon as possible. I will live with them until I can’t anymore.
I was 'in the dark' until I started reading the gasbuddy.com message boards. Luckily for me there are more obsessive people out there than me, and they bought gas tester kits & publish the results online! Also Okla. just passed a bill that sarted this month that requires stations to post on the pump if they are selling E10 blended gas. Over the last few months our local news & radio stations have been running numerous stories on E10 and how it's bad for mpg's, plastic, lawnmowers, etc so all the hype has stations flying banners that say alchole free, 100%, etc.
So I'd check that site for your city & see what you can find out, just because it's a big name doesn't mean 100%

As for tires, you might be 'stuck' with them a loooong time. I haven't seen the posts in a while, but others here reporting 50, 60, 80k+ on the LRR's, not sure how good the non LRR's are. Many complaints of noise, but I have the stock Conti LRR's and can't say I hear a loud noise from them, infact the cabin is quite quiet!

Good luck, enjoy, make a 'game' out of it! See who's better at the #'s game.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:38 AM
Enthusiast

Congratulations on purchasing an awesome vehicle. I traded in my 06 for a new 08 a couple of months back; both awesome vehicles. When I first got the 06, my partner would laugh at me because I was constantly trying to get the best MPG as possible. I averaged about 33 for the 2 years that I had it. Now, that my partner has traded in his Scion TC for a Prius, he finally understands. We are both competitive so we both try to consistently beat the estimates for our cars. In the 08, I am getting about 31 MPG, but this one is a AWD and its been very hot here in Atlanta over the last few weeks.