Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Honda Civic in Alexandria VA

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Hybrid Newbie
Smile Honda Civic in Alexandria VA

Just got a Honda 2006 Civic last week.

I live in Alexandria, VA with my wife and 2 kids (a 9 yr. old & a 5 yr. old). Up to now, my wife and I have been commuting to our jobs in DC (we work a block apart) in a 2002 Impala. Now that the Impala is almost paid off, we decided to get a more efficient car as the commuting car, and to relegate the Imapla to secondary car duties. Those would consist mostly of out-of-town trips (where the Impala's big trunk is needed for a family of four's stuff) as well as for those occasional times when the kids are going in divergent directions.

I'm still trying to get the hang of milking all the fuel economy I can out of a hybrid. I have an understanding of techniques for a traditional car, but my understanding is that those techniques don't always carry over to a hybrid. But I still smile when it the engine turns off at a red light. That's a nice low-hanging fruit type of savings that I know that I can't get in the old car. And everybody's gotta start somewhere, right?

Old 09-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic in Alexandria VA

Welcome to the Hybrid club! Have you read the following information about improving your MPG:

The link is to Tarabell's excellent and extensive article about adapting hypermiling techniques to the HCHII, from CleanMPG.com:

www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

Also, Steve (AKA "Hot_Georgia_2004") has written an article you can read on the "Learn" section of this site.

I have read and re-read these articles, and all the info I can about maximizing fuel efficiency, and think I am slowly getting it! Yesterday, on a 112-mile round trip, I got 58.2 mpg. I've only had the car 3 weeks and don't yet have 600 miles on it. I am getting in the 46-47 mpg range on my daily commute (in town, but not lots of stop and go traffic).

And I smile too when the engine shuts off! I love this car more every time I drive it.