Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Howdy Hybrid fans

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Howdy Hybrid fans

Had my Honda Insight since 2000, and have enjoyed it every time I take it for a spin.
I remember the first test drive at the dealers. I got in, and asked where the control was for the electric motor. When he told me that there was none, and that I had to step down on the gas to get the electric to help, I almost got out and said forget it. I got it anyways, as In the back of my mind, I was already thinking about how I was going to rectify that situation once my warranty was up. Now at 85K, I have been driving my Insight with MIMA, (Manual IMA), for over 5K, and the experience is everything I had hoped it would be. I am hoping that the hybrid automakers will see this and incorporate a similar control scheme in future hybrids so that all off you can see what a difference it is to really be in control of the Hybrid drive rather than be limited by the less than optimum control system that is presently offered. Why do people buy a standard transmission, to be in control. Why is there no manual hybrid control offered, we can do better than the computer, we have eyes, we can think and learn.
To find out more:
http://pages.cthome.net/genesisone/MIMA.htm
I hope I can contribute to this great forum.
Sincerely
Mike Dabrowski
MIMA equipped Insight # 007

Old 09-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Howdy Hybrid fans

Hi MD2000:

___Welcome to the GreenHybrid side of the fence

___What many here are possibly looking for is a FAS switch the only cuts out the ICE w/ no rebooting afterwards. The dis-engage/re-engage of the tranny would be almost impossible to overcome without some solenoid required actions but a simple FAS switch is really what many might be interested in.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Wayne
Sorry on the FAS switch. While coasting may be a nice technique for squeezing out those last MPG, I would not want to to be responsible for something that many states may consider illegal.
Mike
MIMA equipped Insight #007

Old 09-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributor ($)

MD2000
So good to see you here on GreenHybrid!
Dang I want the FAS button! I think Wayne is on the right track for that.
Mike I understand the liability issue though.

Thanks for sharing your MIMA info here. I think there are many who would be interested.

Hey, just to check.
1) I assume installing MIMA would void the Honda battery warranty, right?
2)I assume it would be obvious to mechanics that MIMA was installed, right? I see there is a less obtrusive way to install it, but is still not hidden and probably not very reversible.

The reason I ask is my Insight has 65000 miles on it. If I install MIMA, and then my pack dies, I am thinking that Honda would say no way to a replacement pack.

Last edited by ericbecky; 09-22-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi MD2000:

___I perfectly understand your concerns … Are you are running illegal at 19 mph and below in the Insight because you are coasting with the ICE off and clutch in

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

xcel
The present autostop is probably in the grey area, and since it is designed to stop the engine when you are stopped, it is quite different than a switch that one could press at any speed to kill the engine.

ericbecky

Thanks for the welcome.
You asked:
Hey, just to check.
1) I assume installing MIMA would void the Honda battery warranty, right?
2)I assume it would be obvious to mechanics that MIMA was installed, right? I see there is a less obtrusive way to install it, but is still not hidden and probably not very reversible.

The present install hides all of the rear connections in the rear harness which is only covered with some plastic tubing and black tape, so it can be put back together to look stock. The ECM harness connections can also be made to look stock. The only visible sign that MIMA is installed is the two temperature probes, one for the battery and one for the MPI. Both can be removed in minutes(after the back is opened) and tucked away out of sight if you wanted to bring the car in for service. They would not see it, or discover it unless they had a reason to get into the harness,which is pretty unlikely.
The main bunch of wires is in the shift console area, which has no active components, so the jumper plug could be installed, and the harness tucked into the shift console, and all MIMA electronics could be removed before bringing to the dealer. Again they normally would have no reason to look there.
The word about MIMA will soon be out, as Fox news will be coming over next Wed with a camera man to do an interview. I would hope that eventually Honda may come around to accepting that MIMA is good for their green image, and will not void warranties if it is installed, but that is only my opinion. Honda could send out a notice to all dealers to check in the shift console for MIMA wiring, and then no matter how neatly it is wired, they would know.
MIMA instalation is reversable, by simply removing all electronics and installing the small jumper plug into the MIMA main connector. The harness can be left in place.
Installing an after market cruise controll where they tap into the ECM VSS signal has never been a warranty voiding modification, so maybe they would treat MIMA the same way???? Not my call.
Mike
MIMA#007

Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast

Your question about autostop below 19 mph, left me thinking about how Honda was comfortable with doing that in light of the laws about coasting.
I refered to a book that I hardly ever look at, the Owners Manual.
The way they can do it is because of all of the conditions that have to be met,before Autostop, and the conditions needing to be met on the restart. I won't go into all of them here, as you all have your manual. A bypass of those safeties would make all of those necesary safety conditions useless. Example: You are coasting along down a nice hill, free ride. A deer runs out in front of you, and you slam on your brakes, but guess what the vaccume for the power brakes is gone, and the normal restart function was bypassed by yout FAS switch. Bang no more hypermiling for you.
I think common sense, needs to come into this whole striving for maximum mileage thing. I am all for improving the world average MPG, but I want to live to tell about it. MIMA was a big liability risk for me, but I am willing to take my chances because I believe this type of synergy between the car and the driver is much needed at this time. There are millions of extermely smart people in the world today, more than ever in the hystory of the human race. Many have been driving cars for 50 years, and have so much skill, and it is all going to waste. Cars are controlled the same way as they were 40 years ago.
If MIMA can be carried to the end that I envision, MIMA will learn how you drive, and when PIMA is turned on, it will use the electric gas mix that you would under the same throttle/speed/acceleration conditions.
MIMA will control a larger battery pack of what ever chemistry is best at the time. The pack would be grid chargable, and possibily a rear hatch window solar array would let you get topped off while parked in the company parking lot. A high power blower powered by the panel would exhaust the hot air, and keep the pack cool. There will also be a nation/world wide network of MIMA programmers that will be striving to make this new HHI as good as possible. I just signed up a guy in UK for the next batch, he is an EV owner and micro programer. Will be fun and interesting.

The carmakers need to wake up. I read somewhere that if all cars now were getting 40 MPG or more that we would not need arab oil, or the north alaska oil, or the war in Iraq. That was of course before nature began punishing the country with Monster Hurricanes, that is sucking up the energy source that nature, so magically placed beneath our feet for all generations to share, not for us to waste it by using a 3000 lb armored box to carry a 120 lb lady to the grocery store. Why does she feel the need to have such a huge beast of a car, when a 30 LB bike and only a little much needed exersize, could also do the job?
We are all rightfully afraid of the future, and our fear is making us look for protection. We can change the future if we all just stop buying big inefficient cars right now.
Sorry for the rant.
I hit a deer with my van once, and I am glad the brakes worked and the motor was running, or it could have been a direct hit, rather than a glancing blow. If not a deer, maybe another car, or a child. the no coasting bit made it to law, for good reason.
IMHO

Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Contributor ($)

Mike,
Thanks for the clarifications.