Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Industry Insider Jumpin' In

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Proudest Monkey
Default Re: Industry Insider Jumpin' In

Originally Posted by lakedude
This is so true and I can't begin to understand or expain it either. I posted a "are you ready to buy a hybrid now that gas is over $3 a gallon thread" and a few were interested and came over here. Most were very hostile. My Avatar has been a picture of a hybrid with my running lifetime calculated mileage manually added as a signature for months. One of the questions was what do I drive and what do I get out of it!

I tried to help but almost no one would listen.

Its really unfortunate that people won't keep an open mind (whether it be about hybrids or whatever). Despite the increased price, there seems to be little practical downsides to any of the major models of hybrids. Why deal in theory about saving gas, helping the environment, etc. when we can currently go to a dealership and buy something that backs up those 'good intentions'?
This is the only forum I have EVER been involved in, and the only reason I did so was I liked the thoughtful responses of those active in it. There's no hating going on here (that I've seen). Just people genuinly thrilled with their hybrids, yet realistic about them. No rose-colored glasses. Anyways, sorry for going off-topic. Please resume the conversation!

Old 09-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZCivic
The US market seems to be very much a horsepower culture. Whenever the question of hybrids comes up "Are they worth it," the discussion descends into some analysis saying that they don't save more fuel than it would cost just to buy a poorly equipped economy car.
Yes, the common assumption is that the only reason anyone would *ever* buy a hybrid is to save money.

What's even more frustrating is that amount of intense hatred that most folks seem to harbor for hybrids. You can go on a lot of other forums
Maybe on some boards, but people at work and neighbors and such have all been very interested to hear about our Highlander. Some don't know much about hybrids, but they're open-minded and interested. Some know a lot, and those folks are even more curious. Maybe I just hang out with the right people...

Old 09-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I wish GM would get in the game and take there place as a world leader in quality, design and exacution. GM has more experiance than almost any co. on the face of the earth with the hybrid locomotives and heavy equitment devlopments. Plain and simple. World class engineering and exacution in those areas. But build a car or truck and they just fall apart. When I heard the rumbling of hybrid four or five years ago coming from the GM camp I had to restrain myself. After being so embrassed by there offering and the cars I had bought of theres. I had really held out hope that they where going to do something write.

WRONG

The BAS system is just a half **** cheap way to show the common GM fan boy. " Hey look at us " Knowing what GM knows of hybrid,, this is typical GM. Then the truck thats a real joke. A big generator with recpts in the bed. LMAO More of GM's half **** ways of doing things.

The way I see it. GM needs to work on the basics. Like getting a car put together with quality matrials. Good plastics, There plastics are as bad as Alfa's and Fiats,, if not worse. As for the trucks. Get rid of the awful diff. whine. The rear ends just scream at speed. The fit and finish is horrible on Gm autos and trucks. There is so much GM needs to do and they have sliped soo far down. I dont think they can make hybrid now that would really work for the long haul. Most of there other stuff dosent work. If they wanted to do it right they could. but The past twenty or so years have not shown abit of engineering excuted well.

The last good Gm I owned was a 1969 Impala. Ive seen nothing but junk from them since. As I see it GM truthfuly owes me atleast one new car for all the bad ones Ive bought trying to beleive in them.

Good luck and may the monster ,, GM turn around. I hope you can help them. Cause I wont with my hard earned money anymore.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Welcome to the community Martin!
This has got to be the longest introduction thread yet, and I read the whole thing!

I'm Steve, please let me introduce myself.
You can see in my signiture that I'm doing OK with my HCH CVT, but I'm relatively new to this hypermiling thing. Before Feb '04 I drove a '94 Dodge Spirit 4cyl and only did about 16-17MPG.

I'm a former all-American car owner. My dad always bought American (Mopar), as did my uncles etc. Heck, my dad bought the first production FWD car...The Omni. (I think it was the first)
I've bought new K-cars, a Spirit and 2 new Grand Caravans.
If not Mopar could just as well have been GM.

Naturally I was torn between Neon and the HCH.
HCH won out for its FE, and that's when gas was still about $1.25/g. Me, just as many people here took action to beat the rising $ trend.

Are you kidding about the BAS system?
I had no idea Detroit was going to do this.
The last I heard of this someone was selling it over the internet as a retrofit gimick for regular cars.

Is this the best technology we can come up with?
A second thought bolt on motor/generator?
I can't help but wonder if any engineers/designers ever considered interviewing hypermilers?

For starters, how about letting those achieving great things test drive those new autos for feedback? We have some great ideas.
I guarantee you'd raise epa by 10 minimum.
Take the 2006 HCH for example. Automatic FAS. Brilliant but simple. Something hypermilers have been doing for years.
I wonder who they've been listening to? I don't think it's the drivers who prefer high performance who gave that suggestion.

I only have new Mopars to judge by but have owned a 59 Olds 98, 65 Biscayne, 65 Catalina and Firenza and I have to say the American auto makers have better quality material, fit and finish than my HCH.

Just too bad they miss the mark where it counts the most.
Efficiency......... + $3.00/gallon efficiency.
Somehow I think a second-thought bolt on alternator/generator is not going to win the FE award.

Anyway welcome!
You are a great addition to our community!

Old 09-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Atomic Frog
Hi martinjlm!

I was just curious: in your opinion, why has the U.S. in general been slower to embrace or develop hybrid autos? I realize our society loves its 4x4's and 'over-compensators' but Ford has acknowledged this and produced the hybrid Escape. Why have GM and Daimler-Chrystler been ignoring this mostly until recently?
Can't speak for DCX, but I can tell you the GM has been in the hybrid development game for a while. The issue (problem?) is that a couple fairly significant reversals of direction in the mild hybrid (VUE) and strong hybrid (Tahoe / Yukon) have delayed product introduction.

As for the industry as a whole, it all comes down to economics. The cost to develop and integrate a hybrid into a vehicle is prohibitively expensive. It will take several generations of hardware and cycles of learning to get to a cost structure that makes financial sense.

The green VUE has been repeatedly placed on the back burner
major change in direction on transmissin technology.
and the Hybrid Silverado is a joke (no offense intended).
No offense taken. It is what it is. There's much better product in the pipeline preparing for launch.

I guess what I'm asking is what has happend to the Big Three's ingenuity? For example, if an electric motor is valued for its superb torque, than why not place one in a pickup that kicks on for pulling stumps (or whatever)? Why don't ALL cars have AT LEAST an auto stop feature alone? Forgive me if I seem ignorant, I have zero engineering experience, but even these small changes would seem to be a start in the right direction.
No ignorance observed. All very good questions. It all boils down to cost and people resources required to engineer and integrate product. There very well could come a day when Stop/Start is as plentiful as power windows or air conditioning.

Peace,

Martin

Old 09-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Proudest Monkey

Martinjlm,

Thanks for the replies. Very thorough! I'm interested to see what GM has in store. In regards to the 'much better project in the pipeline preparing for launch' that will be an intereseting surprise. Any hints? Seriously, I realize you need to keep stuff under wraps so I won't press you. I'm glad your hangin' out with us on the forums, you give thoughtful, honest replies. I think maybe we as consumers forget that a car company is first and foremost a company, and profits speak loudest of all. Perhaps, as you suggest, the technology will come down in cost and hybrids will be everywhere. Our grand kids will look at full ICE cars as being relics. Personally, I'm looking forward to that day..

Cheers!