Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

intro: red five

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default intro: red five

Hello, hybrid fans! My name is Chip and I live in Orlando, FL with my wife and several cats. I've been interested in hybrids since back when there were only two choices: prius and insight. My Saturn SL1 was, up unitl recently, holding together and getting 30+mpg, and having no car payment was nice, so I waited. Earlier this year my car started getting unreliable, so I took the plunge and got a RED 2005 PRIUS with package#5. I searched the buyatoyota website and found vehicles that were a few weeks from hitting any lot within 100 miles of my house, picked one (having test driven one already, along with a ford focus and VW jetta), put down a deposit and waited 2-3 weeks. When I picked it up it had 2 miles on the odometer! So far it has been great, I couldn't be happier with my car. The main selling point for me, besides the fuel economy and low emissions, was the spacious storage space. In fact, I took a tape measure to my test drive. The Honda civic back seat didn't fold down and the jetta deisel didn't fold very flat, so they were ruled out.
I couldn't think of a name at first, then one night I was watching star wars with my wife, and during the end sequence where they attack the death star, she asks me 'what's the name of luke skywalker's x-wing?'. Being a geek, I immediately replied 'well, red five of course' then mimicked the line "red five standing by...". 'why don't you call your car that?' she said. And so it was.
I have about 6000 miles on the car now. I try to give rides to everyone I know so I can dispell any myths and answer questions about hybrids. I've learned most of the specs because I've been asked so many questions and had to look up the answers. I work with engineers, so things like coefficient of drag and battery output are valid lunch topics. So far I've influenced at least one prius purchase, and everyone who drives in my car is amazed at the roomy interior, the quiet stops, the acceleration, and the general niceness of the car. I'm glad to see Hybrids are catching on and the brisk sales are making car manufacturers take notice and change their ways. I bought a hybrid because I wanted to be a part of that revolution.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: intro: red five

Which part of Orlando are you from? I'm at Rice in Houston now, but my home is in the Altamonte Springs area.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Thumbs up Re: intro: red five

"Red Five" very nice subtle reference Obi Wan.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Dan, Thanks
Jason, I live in south conway area, right by orlando intl airport. I graduated from West Orange HS in 93, UCF in 97, lived here all my life.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Banned
Default Red Five - A Smiley for You

Enjoy!

Old 10-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the smiley, you guys are great! I love this forum.

Delta flyer, you have the greatest avatar ever, I totally expect that you look just like the enzyte guy.
Jason, great website btw, I try to point every one I know to it when they ask about hybrids, especially on the subject of real-life mileage. It is a great internet resource.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A Prius, and cats *too*. You happen to use a Mac ?

Welcome! -- Eric

Old 10-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Site Founder

You're welcome. But, remember that everything here is contributed by members! I simply provided the means by which to do so.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Contributor ($)

Obi Wan Ryobi,

Welcome to GreenHybrid. I love the mileage database, too. (Although I've been a bit remiss in eneter tanks lately.) It's good for people to see what's possible.