Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Introducing Fuel Phobic, my second hybrid (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Vegetarian
Default Introducing Fuel Phobic, my second hybrid (long)

It is Saturday, I can't believe it took me till 6.00 to write this, the auction was this morning... (Back in 2000 The Palm Beach County Health Department bought an Insight. Now that it is 7 years old it is being sold off at auction... since my mom works at the health department we knew when it was going to be there, and had been looking forward to it, having been hearing rumors for a year that it was going to be sold.)

The suggested minimum bid for the Insight was only $4,990! Crazy low. I was thinking it would be $8,000, but it could have been as high as $10,000, maybe more. I definitely wasn't expecting anything under $5,000. That made me feel like we could definitely get it for less than $7,000, but then we went out to where the cars were... there was a couple sitting in it when we came out, that instantly made me nervous. There were a lot of people checking it out, sitting in it, putting it through the gears and all that. There were a ton of people around when they started it up. More than a couple people revved the engine pretty high. Listening to people talk about it, you could tell most of them were just curious, but some seemed interested enough to bid on it. You could tell who didn't have a clue, but it was hard to tell if someone might really know what it was worth. After all, we certainly didn't want to make it look like we knew anything about it.
One person, for example, was asking why is was $4,990 and the person they were talking to said, "well you know, gas prices are really high, hybrids will be at a premium" ...as if $4,990 was too high! Hahahhaha!

So we bid...

$7,101.

We went out to breakfast at the diner, I got blueberry pancakes with didn't cook around the blueberries so they had to make me more. By the time I got started eating my new pancakes everyone else was done. I was really too nervous to eat/feel hungry/get filled up/enjoy my meal.

We went back and waited for the winners to be annouced. The bidding was supposed to end at 11, but anyone who was in line to bid at 11 got to bid, so it took probably half an hour before the winners were announced. The Insight was on the third page. Lot number 4945... winning bidder 15760... the amount of $7,101 will be awarded. !!!! We won!!!! We probably could have gotten it for less, but we really don't want to know. I could have been imagining it, but I think I heard a fair about of wispering in response to the price. Those fools don't know what a deal we still really got.

I'm excited about it, but I think I'd be even more excited if we had been able to take it home today (we have to take the bill of sale and get the title transfered before we get the keys). I really would like to be able to really look at it inside and out, and take a ride in it (I'd love to drive it, but I don't know how to drive a stick yet) to see how it behaves. I really can't wait till I can drive it! Two weeks and I'll be home for the summer, then I can start learning. Once I know how to drive it it will be my car for the summer, but since my dad (crash safety concerns) and step dad (trustworthiness concerns) aren't too happy about me driving it to school I'm going to take my Civic back when I go. Which I really don't mind, because as awesome as the Insight is, I also totally love my HCH (it's newer and nicer)... I was actually a little torn thinking it was going to just go to my mom (until I wanted it back when I had kids or something and need a sedan). I think this will work out well.

2000 Insight w/ AC
Not Silverstone Metallic, maybe Magnesium Metallic??
34,498 miles

It has a few cosmetic problems: The trim piece above the passenger door is missing, but I've already ordered a replacement. The stickers on the back aren't in good shape, the H isn't even there, but I've ordered new ones of those too. There is a hole in the floor carpet on the drivers side, and the headlights are a little foggy. I can live with that. I can't say much more than that because I didn't really look at it too closely while we were there because I didn't want to seem too interested.

We have the complete history, and it looks like the IMA was replaced in March' 05, (on the sheet it says "defective AMA battery" and also mentions error codes P1164 and 1447) at 28,740 miles.

Two new tires as of January also.

I think we got a good deal. I'm happy.

I'll be bringing Fuel Phobic (that's what I've decided to name it, my Civic is Fuel Shy) to Hybrid Fest! I plan on getting a vanity tag that says XXL MPG, so look for me if you're going.

Wooooo!

Oh, also the MPG I saw on the dash was 47.something, not sure if this is lifetime or not, I'll have more details soon. I'm not worried about the MPGs being so low, since it was a county car, it's expected the people who are driving it don't really care about fuel economy. I'm sure I'll be able to pull that number way up.

Here's a picture of it from the auction website:

Last edited by IMAhybrid; 05-26-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Introducing Fuel Phobic, my second hybrid (long)

WELL DONE!

Don't worry about the price. I've always found that after everything I buy, within a day or so, 'Murphy' let's me know I could have gotten it cheaper.

BTW, the Insight maintenance action was a good thing. The Dept. of Energy report indicates this was a problem with their test unit too. I understand Honda came out with a permanent fix.

GOOD LUCK!!

Bob Wilson

Old 05-21-2007, 04:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

congrats on your Insight steal!!

What low mileage for a 2000 vehicle! The Insight is a joy to drive, a total blast to cruise around in. You can park it anywhere too! It'll fit in any spot, any time

Old 05-21-2007, 05:46 AM
my other car is a FJORD

great find, and terrific mileage. heck, my 05 HCH has more miles on it than that...........way kewl.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Engineering first

Hi,

I just checked Kelly for a 2000 Honda Insight, trade-in value:

$7,975 - Excellent
$7,440 - Good
$6,495 - Fair

$11,120 - Excellent, suggested retail price (highest with markups)

Excellent score!

Bob Wilson

Old 05-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I take this was a silent auction?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Vegetarian

Laurie, mine too.

How the auction works is you place a bid on the computers they have there and the highest bidder wins, and they have to pay the amount they bid, no matter how much lower the person below them bid and weather or not there even were any other bids. It's certainly a gamble if you want to try to get a really good deal. When we picked up the car today the guy there was telling us he bid on a truck one time and got out bid by only $22.

My mom drove it to work today and was able to get 66.9 mpg without even trying. She also stopped by the grocery store and provided the Insight with its first ever load of groceries (it didn't need to carry groceries as a county car).

Old 05-23-2007, 03:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid

My mom drove it to work today and was able to get 66.9 mpg without even trying. She also stopped by the grocery store and provided the Insight with its first ever load of groceries (it didn't need to carry groceries as a county car).
I am sure i get a lot of weird looks when i go to Costco every week or two and load my little Insight up with an entire cart full of things. usually at least 3-4 cases of water, paper towels, toilet paper, and food!!!!

that is a really odd way to hold an auction, but all that matters is that you won!!!