Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I currently drive a 1992 Civic CX with 345,000 miles on it. The original motor wore out at 245,000 miles, at which time the local Dr. Motorworx replaced it with a used motor from Japan. The original motor was not overembued with power, but did give mpg's in the lower 50's during the summer and upper 40's in winter. The new motor has much more power, especially at the higher rpm's, turning in 0-60mph times of under 10 sec, but will still give me 50mpg provided I ristrict my visitations into the engine's higher rpms.

I've been adjusting my driving techniques for maximum mpg's since the gas shortages of the mid '70's, at which time I was getting 36mpg out of my 68 VW bug. My main technique is to try to drive in a manner that mimimizes the use of braking (either wheel friction or engine compression) consistant with safe driving. This requires anticipation of traffic and traffic light patterns and I also maximize the use of freewheel coasting on any downhill I encounter or wherever I need to let my speed diminish for a turn or upcoming traffic. In addition to good miliage, a fringe benefit of my driving style is that my brake linings last a long time before wearing out (I'm averaging 120,000 miles for the front calipers, and 330,000 miles on the rear drums).

I'm looking at the hybrid car market, but am waiting for a practical hatchback or small station wagon to come out in hybrid form and without a long waiting list. I often travel with 2 Irish wolfhounds and 2 Australian shepards which fit fine in the back of my little Civic hatchback, but wouldn't fit in the Insight or the Civic or Prius sedans. The 04 Prius Prius looks promising provided the fastback design of the cargo area with the seats down has enough vertical space to fit my dogs. Due to the scarcity of the new Prius in this part of the country (South Carolina), I haven't actually seen a 04 Prius to see if it could handle my canine load.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Site Founder

Glad to have you here. Looks like you are quite a green machine!

The Prius II seems perfect for you, if only you could get ahold of you... and based on your experiences over the past decades, you'd assimilate right into the mileage strategies.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Contributor ($)

Great mileage for your non-hybrid vehicles!

I have seen a few Prius owners who tote around their dogs, but none of the dogs are as large as yours. I think that if the dogs fit o.k. in the back of your Civic Hatchback, that the Prius, with seats down would work for you. Take a look at the latest issue of Motor Trend, it has a few photos. Hopefully you'll get a chance to see one in person so we can hear what you think.

Welcome!

Old 04-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I checked with my local (Greenwood, SC) Toyota dealer today about the supply situation with the 04 Prius and they said that they had only gotten in 1 so far and that was for a Pioneer order in Jan. Looks like it will be a long wait to get a Prius around here (05? or 06?). Maybe Honda will get wise and produce a IMA Civic 3 or 5 door hatchback by then (but I'm not holding my breath). I'll also check out the Honda Fit when it arrives late this year. Although not a hybrid, some versions of it get mileage in the 50's and it has a practical cargo area.