Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Looking to double my green

Old 09-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Hybrid Wanna-be
Red face Looking to double my green

Doing some online research on hybrids and came across this place. Have been lurking for a couple of weeks and learning a lot. I currently have a Nissan Frontier that gets decent gas mileage, but am looking for something that can seat more than 2 people comfortably. The two cars that have caught my attention are the

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid
2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid

I am still a little confused on which type of hybrid technology would be best for me. While my drive to work is only 2.2 miles, I do (will) like to do other driving of longer distances on the weekends.

I will keep looking around and post some. So far this place looks great.

Looking to double my green factor, both for the environment and my back pocket

Old 09-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking to double my green

With such a short trip to work you might be able to get away with a Prius modified to charge from a plug, and of course the Electric Vehicle mode button. Even if the electric mode doesn't get you all the way to work it will shave off a significant amount of warmup time that normally cuts into anyone's mileage that just does short trips. Of course most people aren't really into modifying their new car, so it's probably not an option.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Hybrid Wanna-be

a couple of people that work with me own a prius and I just can't force myself to like their styling. Just not my type of design style. Then again, I do have different tastes from most. You should see my minimalist house and current vehicle. No bells and whistles, just enough to get it done

Old 09-03-2005, 10:18 AM

2 miles...bicycle? Probably not an option in the summer in TX, unless there's an AC equipped bike out there.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Hybrid Wanna-be

I have thought about walking (streets just to busy during rush hour for riding a bike). If gas prices reach $5 a gallon, I just may. I spend about $25 per month in fuel for my current vehicle and that includes driving home for lunch every day to save money on food. Plus it keeps me sane being able to get out of the office everyday.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:42 PM

Skates ?
Electric Scooter ?
Hybrid Bicycle ?

You have SO many choices with your short commute.

Old 09-03-2005, 01:36 PM

Hi Siliconhills:

___I have no idea how many miles you drive in an average year but a 2 mile commute? I do not see much benefit from a hybrid over that distance either.

___Let’s consider an alternate approach … Is your Frontier a stick by chance? If so, I know you could easily double your current FE over that short 2.2 miles just using the FAS technique. I receive higher FE driving around town in the Ranger then highway and have received some excellent EPA busting FE pulling the 4,000 # + Landscape trailer w/ gear and driving around locally performing the same in fact.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Hybrid Wanna-be

I do have a manual transmission Frontier, I tried to coast a lot and use the techniques mentioned on this site. Mileage improvement isn't my sole motivation for looking at hybrids. I am also wanting something that is more comfortable than my truck when I do decide to go on longer trips. Currently I don't use my current vehicle because you can only fit 2 people comfortably in the truck. So on longer trips I always ride with someone. I am just wanting a car and if things don't work out at work by January, will be looking for another job too.

So how many miles will I drive in a year? I am not sure. Right now, it is less than 6000 (only 17,000 miles on my 3 year old Frontier). I am looking to / planning to keep my truck (invaluable as a home owner) and pay cash for a car (as a primary vehicle).

I like the size of the Civic's and comparing an EX and Hybrid, the price of a civic (after the tax credit) is marginally more than the gas only EX.

So I guess my question should be: Considering driving 6-12K miles a year and current gas prices is the hybrid worth the extra $250-$500 in initial cost?

I am also anxious to see more details on the Altima hybrid to compare it to the Altima gas only engine. I plan to rent a hybrid over the Thanksgiving holiday to get a real life "test drive" and not have to ride with anyone either.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:23 PM

You may also want to consider the Camry since it's due out much sooner than the Altima.

It's going to be very interesting over the next few years as more companies get hybrids into the market.

Another thing to consider is a used model since gas savings can be realized immediately if the hybrid premium is absorbed by someone else.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Hybrid Wanna-be

Originally Posted by Schwa

Another thing to consider is a used model since gas savings can be realized immediately if the hybrid premium is absorbed by someone else.
I have considered that too, but I have noticed that many are selling 1-2 year old hybrids for nearly the new MSRP, maybe a couple of thousand less which is just about what the tax credits will be.

I guess I would estimate driving about 100 miles a week minimum currently (40 miles a week for work, average about 50-60 miles on the weekends)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to double my green

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands