Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

mpg on new Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default mpg on new Prius

I just got my 2007 prius this week and have driven just 180 miles. Most of this is City driving maybe 15/20 mile runs with brief freeway and max speed about 65.
Looked at the consumption (and felt a little sad) as average only 37 have and looked at the site averages. 50/60s Will mine get better with more use?
Car is a joy so should not be greedy better than SUV that went it did 15/20.

Aliwat in Winter Park Fl.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: mpg on new Prius

I wouldn't get too upset... I bought my 2006 on the 13th of September and also wondered why I was only averaging 30+ mpg someone told to me to wait out the "break in period" sure enough after my first tank of gas my mpg began to rise. I just hit over 1,000 miles and it looks like I'll be filling up my third tank of gas tomorrow. I've been averaging about 46.5 now and hope to see it increase even more from here. Besides, it definitely takes a little time to get used to how to drive it. I notice I definitely drive differently now in the Prius (No flooring the gas pedal) the funny thing is when my husband drives< i get upset because he lowers my mpg>

Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aliwat
Will mine get better with more use?
No, on short trips.
Yes, on long trips.

Ken@Japan

Old 10-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Hi Allison;

We all get hit by the initial shock regardless of whether we drive a Prius, a Civic Hybrid, or any other hybrid for that matter.

Our cars have the potential to achieve and even exceed the advertized mileage but they wont at first because we spent a lifetime being "regularly bad drivers". Now, the consumption screen (Prius) and the iFCD (on our Civics) bluntly convey to us that the car is willing but the driver has to "break-in" first.

This forum is chock full of good advice that will help you achieve your Prius' true potential. So don't feel bad about the initial low mileage. It is perfectly normal. Also, you do not need to wait for the car to break in for you to get great mileage. Of course, when the break-in time comes your milleage will be even better.

So my humble advice is: Relax... and search though the past messages in the forum, read through the tips and the good advice. In no time you'll see much better mileage and your prius will become the best and most fun car you ever had.

Welcome.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

I'm the same way!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Engineering first

Hi,

WELCOME to the club! You are in for a treat:
Originally Posted by aliwat
I just got my 2007 prius this week and have driven just 180 miles. Most of this is City driving maybe 15/20 mile runs with brief freeway and max speed about 65.
Looked at the consumption (and felt a little sad) as average only 37 have and looked at the site averages. 50/60s Will mine get better with more use?
Car is a joy so should not be greedy better than SUV that went it did 15/20.
My first fill-up was 39 MPG and I briefly thought about turning around and giving the car back. But instead, I used that trip to plot MPG vs. MPH and a study of Prius performance.

When you get a chance, head over to the Prius forum and scan the FAQ. This will give you some ideas.

One thing since you're from Florida, rain seems to impact Prius performance more than other cars. We don't have a good model but there are several speculations. Rain also tends towards using 'defrost' which runs the AC compressor, another MPG hit.

One other aspect is we tend to run our tires at higher pressures. I've seen studies that indicate handling improves, especially on wet roads with higher pressure in the tires. It apparently helps put the water aside.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson