Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New 05 Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:16 AM
gatekeeper
Default New 05 Prius

Hi everybody, I just picked up a new black Prius. After about a year of checking out the assorted hybrids, we finally settled on the Prius. I found out quickly these are not easy to find (just to test drive) much less buy.

The first dealer told me it would take $500 just to get on a list with an average wait of 3 months. He also told me there would be a $2000 "market pricing adjustment." That was his way of saying $2000 over sticker.

I searched the internet and found another dealer in the metro Detroit area with 3 Priuses on their lot. I called and they said they were all sold but we could come and check one out. My wife hadn't even seen one of these cars yet. I warned her that the car has a "different" look and if she learn to appreciate the design of the car, this could be just what we'are looking for.

Once we got to the dealer, our salesman Tom Marudas (Page Toyota) knew from our phone conversation that he needed to sell this car to my wife and not me. He did a great job. He put her in the driver seat and explained to her how the car worked and its features as I sat in the back seat and marveled at the leg room. He explained it would take a $100 refundable deposit to get on the list with about an 8-12 week wait. Price would be sticker (no markup). Without leaving a deposit, we thanked him took his card and said we needed to think about this car. As my wife and I got into our car, I asked her what she thought? After a few minutes of conversation
we went back into the dealership left a deposit.

The salesman from the first dealer called me about 3 weeks after I had spoke to him and he told me he had a Black Prius with a package 4 available to put my name on if I wanted to put the $500 deposit on it and pay the $2000 "market pricing adjustment." I politely declined his offer telling him I was going to buy a Prius but was having problem with the $2000 market adjustment.

Three days later Tom called me from Page Toyota offering me a black Prius with package 6. The original buyer got laid off and declined the car as did several others on the list who wanted to wait for their color or opton package. I took delivery that night.

Now if I can just get the wife to let me drive it.

Last edited by gatekeeper; 10-21-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:30 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: New 05 Prius

Hi gatekeeper; Congrads on your (Wifes) "Joke" new Prius. Sounds like you two are enjoying it.

Welcome to (GreenHybrid) hope you enjoy the Forum and let all of us know how it's going with the Prius in the months to come.

Terry

Old 10-15-2005, 06:46 PM
JAY
Enthusiast
Default Re: New 05 Prius

Market adjustment. . .LOL
My dealer called it a "Dealer Availablity Surcharge" and wanted $1000 but I got him down to $500.
Otherwise known as the "We got it and you want it so you you're gonna pay what we say" charge.
In the area I found that the "Over Charge" ranges from $500 to $3500.
I also heard Mass was getting as high as $5000.
I got my Prius the same as you did, someone backed out of the deal at the last minute and the dealer called me to see if I wanted to take it for a test drive. I ended up driving it home that night.
Otherwise, waiting list was 3-4 months here in S. Jersey.

Good Luck and have fun with it.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:15 PM
reformed speed demon
Default Re: New 05 Prius

welcome...from a fellow motor city hybrid newbie

an article in the sunday detroit news claimed detroit isn't quite 'sold' on hybrids, but i see the prius all over the place. and i'm gradually seeing more escapes and accords on the road as well.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands