Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

A new girl needs help :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 02:35 AM
FoX
Enthusiast
Question A new girl needs help :)

Hi! We've got the Honda Hybrid 2005 a few weeks ago. That is my first car in my whole life (no, I'm not 16, just never drove before ). And I love it! It's so great! I just love it. I would never sell it.
But I have a few concerns:

1. I tried all tips, which I've found on this site (exept turning the engine off. This one is really risky), but my MPG in 37-40. I can get 41-42 on the highway, but it's so low. Desperately need more tips. Help!

2. Sometimes, when I turn the key in the ignition to take the key out, the engine still works! Not normally, very quet, but it's on! I start the engine and turn it off again. The engine stops! What's is it? Why? Did I explain it clearly? I hope you got it.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: A new girl needs help :)

FoX,
Welcome to GreenHybrid! I have not heard of the key problem before. I would have that checked out by the dealer.
It sounds like you've done you're reading as far as tips go. i will leave it tosome of the HCH owners to provide more guidance.
What area of the country are you in and what is your typical commute like?

Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

FoX:
Have you read the tips here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...fficiency.html

Alot of people found those helpful.

The engine you hear running after you turn the key off is the cooling fan and it is normal for it to run for several minutes after the key is switched off.
Welcome to GH!

Old 09-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Fox,

Not sure how long you've been applying the tips, or how many miles are on your car. It took me some time to figure out how to drive the car correctly in order to get EPA and better mileage. My first tanks were also in the low 40's. Whether the car needs to break in is a debatable point - some will argue the "break in" has more to do with the driver than the car. My car turned the corner at around 3,000 miles - that's when I started to get mid-40's.

You'll also see a lot written about weather conditions - this will affect your car too. Using the A/C, very cold weather, rain, all will lower your MPG. Short commutes also don't help. It takes some time and practice to figure it all out - hang in there!

Old 09-09-2005, 07:49 AM

Fox,

You car is not "running" after you take the key out you silly ***** !!

The noise you hear is a fan in the front cooling the engine after driving. Completely normal, is installed on every HCH in the USA.

The fact that the fan stops after you re-start the car is kinda interesting - I will try that today and see if I can get that to happen. Maybe the computer gets fooled after a second start after the fan has started cooling.....Very Interesting......

Old 09-09-2005, 09:37 AM
FoX
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Fox,

The fact that the fan stops after you re-start the car is kinda interesting - I will try that today and see if I can get that to happen. Maybe the computer gets fooled after a second start after the fan has started cooling.....Very Interesting......
I thought that it was fan. When would it stop completely? How long does ii take? 5-10 minutes? Thanks

Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 AM
FoX
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
FoX:
Have you read the tips here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...fficiency.html

Alot of people found those helpful.
It does look helpful! I'll try them. Very interesting. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Welcome to GH!
Thanks.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 AM

Fox, the cooling fan is actually something found on most/all cars; it's not specific to the hybrid. Yes it's a bit disconcerting at first.

By the way, 41-42mpg is not "low". The EPA estimates are highly inaccurate; they tend to be slightly inaccurate for most cars, but alot more inaccurate for hybrids. You should be happy with anything in the 40s, really... you'd probably have to be an experienced hypermiler to hope to achieve the EPA estimates or above.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by FoX
I thought that it was fan. When would it stop completely? How long does ii take? 5-10 minutes? Thanks
It takes however long to cool down the engine to an acceptable level. The time will vary depending on outside temps.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Hybrid Ambassador
Cool Re: A new girl needs help :)

Girls rule!
That's why you boys refer to your vehicles as she! (Well that and the fact that we both cost you money.)

A girl who is into cars is rare but we are out here!

I have told my guy friends that if they want to spend money on car things get your girl into it then you won't get into trouble.

Last edited by lakedude; 09-10-2005 at 04:04 PM. Reason: cleaning up mess I made