Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New HAH owner - Northern IL

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Rarely post anything

Sorry, Wayne - I didn't mean my comment about sales ratios of SUVs to hybrids in Lake Co, IL to be disparaging (I recall that you do have one, and I'll say - at least yours burns clean and gets decent mileage (thanks to both you and Honda... )

I will admit that I do take issue with those who buy them for status, and not for need. If there's cargo / people being hauled around often, that's fine. That's what they're for. But most of the time, I see a party of one in the things, and no discernable load. Such a waste, IMO.

Funny you mention a GP - I came out of a '97 into the '01 AV6 coupe. The stories you read about US cars (finally) being on par with Asian counterparts - I don't believe it, at least. I could wax very eloquently about the list of parts I put into that car, and I only had it from 19K until 86K. Meanwhile, the only thing I ever replaced on the '01 Accord was brakes - and I really see that as a 'normal' maintenance item. I did maintain the car w/ filter & fluid changes, but outside of the brakes all around, didn't have to repair one other thing mechanically. Even the tires still had usable tread - at 75K.

On the Mobil 0W-20 and VTEC issue - I thought I read that that was only for DOHC VTECs, as they tend to be free-breathing & high-revving engines. I believe that every engine in Honda's current lineup utilizes VTEC, if I'm not mistaken - so if all VTECs are excluded from using Mobil1, then ExxonMobil has a big problem on their hands The AH uses the new i-VTEC standard (and IIRC, it's the only trim level that does). How I wish it were SULEV or PZEV...
Nonetheless, I will research the VTEC/Mobil1 issue a little further (or make sure I stay below 3700rpm...lol)

Till next time,

Old 02-04-2005, 05:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Mark:

___I just pulled a quart of 0W-20 from my stock and read the label. All mention of the DOHC VTEC issue has been removed. IIRC, it had to do with the lifters on the exhaust side and since we never ran the X in VTEC territory, it was never an issue for us.

___Your mention of the AH having a SOHC i-VTEC valve train intrigued me. I looked it up in the brochure and sure enough, it does. The std. Accord’s are all DOHC i-VTEC equipped whereas the std. V6’s (non-hybrid’s) are straight SOHC VTEC’s. I know the i-VTEC’s help give the regular Accord’s some tremendous FE when pushed as well as HP across the band and now I see where the another FE improvement came about with your AH.

___In regards to the GP, our daughter is a manger at Avis O’Hare so she does not actually own a GP, she just drove that car that day. One of the benefits of being a manger for Avis is that you do not have to own a car. They simply take what is left on the lot at the end of the day/night. For some reason, she is partial to GP’s as she drives that model vehicle home more then any other? Either way, the cars are always new, always maintained, and always clean (relatively speaking). She doesn’t even have to pay for gas or insurance so about the only item she knows about them is that they look nice (her words) and when you turn the key, it starts … Someday, she will have to use her own bank account to procure an automobile and on that day, she will find out all about the pain and pitfalls of vehicle ownership like the rest of us

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net