Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New HCH-II Member

Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Opec Nightmare
Talking New HCH-II Member

Hi,

We are glad to be a new members of this forum. We have a 2006 civic hybrid with approx. 8,500 miles and have the goal of someday reaching 100 + MPG on a full tank of gas. Our best tank thus far has been 66.4 MPG on 11.3 gallons of gas.

We have 55 psi in all four tires. We just replaced the factory oil with Mobil1 0w-20 (3 qts. only instead of the 3.4 listed in manual) and replaced the air filter with a K&N.

We really enjoy driving this car. It is by far the best car I have owned and enjoyed driving. The current name we have for this car is "Silent OPEC Nightmare" which we feel is very fitting as gas prices are now beginnng to come back down some.

We have solar panels we would like to use to fully charge the battery when it is parked. Do you know how this can be done?

We were also considering covering the raditor now that we have cooler temps but do not have any data that would support a MPG improvement.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: New HCH-II Member

Welcome to the club!

No doubt some of the Civic owners will come with better suggestions. My first recommendation is to check the files section. I've seen some nice Civic write-ups.

A Prius pilot, I don't have a lot of technical details but getting 66 MPG is pretty good.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 11-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow, 66 for a whole 11.3 gallons= quite impressive! Welcome to the forum. The solar panel idea sounds really interesting, so I hope you figure out how to do it, but I have no information for you myself. Have you tried searching the discussion threads? Sometimes there are hidden gems here, if someone has asked or talked about things in the past. When I have a question (often not as technical as that one) I usually find that someone else has asked and answered it before.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Opec Nightmare
Cool Re: New HCH-II Member

We are getting closer to using solar energy to charge batteries to the point where it is cost efficient. We will share more soon. Cheers

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Wow, 66 for a whole 11.3 gallons= quite impressive! Welcome to the forum. The solar panel idea sounds really interesting, so I hope you figure out how to do it, but I have no information for you myself. Have you tried searching the discussion threads? Sometimes there are hidden gems here, if someone has asked or talked about things in the past. When I have a question (often not as technical as that one) I usually find that someone else has asked and answered it before.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I understand that battery technology is growing in leaps and bounds- I'm not sure I've heard the same about solar panels, but there is always hope! I'm keeping my fingers crossed- I don't want to be a Malthusian pessimist, so I'm always optimistic about what technology can achieve. Many scientific rules of thumb have been broken by new research, and you just never know.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Opec Nightmare
Exclamation Re: New HCH-II Member

We will do our best to help in this effort.

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
I understand that battery technology is growing in leaps and bounds- I'm not sure I've heard the same about solar panels, but there is always hope! I'm keeping my fingers crossed- I don't want to be a Malthusian pessimist, so I'm always optimistic about what technology can achieve. Many scientific rules of thumb have been broken by new research, and you just never know.