Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New HCH owner in New Mex

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default New HCH owner in New Mex

Hi,

New to the forum and new to hybrids. Just bought a used Honda Civic Hybrid CVT last night and I am pleased so far. I have an 85 mile each-way commute and today I got 40.1 for the whole trip. Not too bad by my standards (other cars are Subaru Forester at 26 mg and Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel at 16 mpg)! I hate automatics but love this CVT. Neato.

I have a couple questions since I have your attention.

Did they all have keyless entry?
If so, where can I get a remote for mine (didn't come with one so I can't match up any numbers with ebay auctions or elsewhere)? I would like to find one on ebay or some alternative to paying $70 at the dealer.

Are there regular metal keys available? I know the rubber part has a chip in it, but I HATE the bulky knobby rubber thing on my keys because I have too many keys to sacrifice that much real estate on my ring - I would pull out the chip and glue it to the steering column somewhere and use a regular metal key if such a thing were possible. Anyone tried it?

Is it really true that manuals get better mpg? (I mean if you drive them like a regular person, not the extreme style where you go 5mph up hills and coast everywhere else)

I'll have many more questions and comments as I get used to this car so thanks in advance for your help. Looking forward to meeting you all. Thanks.

-A-

Old 08-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Default Re: New HCH owner in New Mex

Hey, a HCH driver! Now to answer your questions.

1) I think they all have keyless entry. I haven't heard of one without it.
2) Honda can sell you a remote. Also, I think there are websites out there that sell OEM remotes. Google should be able to find them (I'm too lazy at the moment to google it for you)
3) I don't think they make regular keys but I'm not 100% sure about it.
4) Removing the chip may be possible, but you might end up breaking the chip in the process.
5) Yes, if the driving styles are identical, manuals do get better MPG. This can be verified by going to the mileage database and comparing CVT vs manual.

I look forward to seeing you on the message boards.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Zimbop,

tbaleno answered your questions, but I have a little to add.

When I bought my HCH last year we got a valet key. It is just a straight key w/o the chip. It will do everything the normal key will do, except open the trunk, the lock on the remote beside the driver seat and the glove compartment.

Concerning your mileage, you will get better. I started out in the low 40's and now I am pretty consistent in the high 40's low 50's.

Good luck in your quest.

Billy

Old 08-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Lakedude's 2c

Manuals do get better mileage and allow more control but the difference in a Civic is only 3 mpg on average. The Insight pays a bigger price losing 9-10 mpg by going CVT compared to the MT.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributor ($)

Welcome aboard zimbop!
CVTs are pretty cool. Pressing the gas and receiving such smooth acceleration is a treat. Much smoother than any automatic transmission.